Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SM-900 limiter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ruptured, May 31, 2003.

1. Ruptured

Ruptured

May 14, 2003
    Does the limiter compress the preamp signal or just the poweramp?

If I took a line from the FX send to another poweramp would the limiter work?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Ruptured,

As my owner's manual for the model #400 indicates;

-The Preamp clip LED will light if any portion of the "preamplifier" reaches clipping level or runs out of 'headroom'...
    the 'threshold control' sets the level at which "limiting" begins...

PERSONAL NOTE: it's a "limiter", not a compressor... a very different function.
    As I read it;
    ...the Effects Loop/s are designed to eliminate and / or lower extraneous noise inherent in some outboard effects units... the XLR / Line Out is used for patching through to a 'balanced' in on an additional amplifier.

Hope this provides some help,
    michael s.

3. Ruptured

Ruptured

May 14, 2003
    Thanks.

What advantage does using the xlr out to balanced in on poweramp have?Less noise?

The FX send can still be used for a pre out tho right?

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    maybe a lil less noise, i'ts really for impedance matching, but most poweramps accept both mic and line level signals
    the xlr out is great to send a feed to the pa or to record from
    i'm pretty sure the limiter comes before the fx out on the 900
    best way to tell is to set the limeter for big time squash and send the fx out to another amp - you should be able to hear the limiter kick in - if not, it comes after the fx return

5. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Ruptered,

As Ivan has briefly mentioned; the 'balanced' line will be a bit less noisy (due to its extra grounding, it's much less receptive to picking up interference), but it's probably more a matter of matching impedance.

- an "unbalanced" line can be of a wide ranged impedance: low 1,000's to 10k

- XLR and TRS (balanced) connectors utilize an additional / third wire, exclusively for grounding (unbalanced doubles the use of the neg (-) line as the ground wire)

- the 'balanced line' out is typically used to plug into the FOH mixer; some amps have two line outs, and most have some type of 'pad' and / or direct / line feed switching

I know from my own experience - unless your head is post late 90's - the EFX loop/s might not be affected by the 'Gain' control. That being so, both your Limiter's threshold level and Gain Volume pot, "Will Not" provide any additional control over S/N ratio being fed to the Amp.

Any further confusion or queries, please feel free to ask away...

michael s.