SM-900 or WT-800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jan 13, 2002.

1. SM-900

43 vote(s)
  2. WT-800

47 vote(s)
  1. I play a lot of different styles, but my main style is rock. Do you guys think i should get an SM-900 or a WT-800 to better suit my needs?
  2. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I picked the SWR because I personally prefer that brand. They are both great heads....I would say that the SM-900 is a little more versatile in the power section.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, no doubt about it. ;)
  4. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I picked SWR because I think their amps look better.

I promised myself that I would never buy anything gold for myself. Gold is tacky.

Oh well, so much for that. I've never played Eden so I couldn't think of anything else.
  5. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well i owned an SWR SM-900 for 1.5yrs and it served me well in my last band. I used a warwick thumb 5 nt with it and it sounded amazing. I had a bright bassy (almost no mids) punchy tone that cut through the band like a sword. I was playing in a hardcore/technical metal band then and the guitarists were using some very very very brutal heavy heavy bassy distortion. The SWR made me known for sure. Its a very modern tone. Very bright.

I joined a new band where there is only a single acoustic guitarist and a very loud technical drummer. I also converted to strickly fretless bass now. I found that with my new band, new style, and new instruments I needed a new head. The 900 sounded way too bright, too punchy, and to my ears did not do my Pentabuzz justice. I did not need all those eq switches, etc..etc... anymore so that's why I opted for the EDEN. It brings out the natural tones of my bass and I don't touch the EQ at all (but I use to mess with the SWR's EQ non stop).

Its a matter of taste. I know both brands are of high quality and both have good reputations. Its just that the SWR = modern and EDEN = natural. I guess.....good luck.
  6. Yeah see, that's my problem. I don't know which i'd rather have more. I've already decided at this point that the cab is going to be an Eden D-410XLT but other than that, i'm just not sure. I wish i could just have both.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dude. WT-800. You'll never go back to sheep.
  8. You know what, and munji this will please you, i'm gonna do it. I'm gonna go WT-800 and D-410XLT. I'm gonna get the 8 ohm version because i won't actually need another cab then. so in the end, if i decide to add another cab, i can just get a poweramp. There is a preamp out on the WT-800 right?
  9. Correct... you'll be very pleased. Even the 8ohm d-4x10xlt on one side is quite loud. You may not even have to go as far as getting another power amp. But if you decided you wanted to do that, you could just run post preamp effect loop out into the input of the power amp.

You're gonna have the exact amp set up as me. You will be pleased.
  10. Great choice! I've got the WT-500 and it's amazing. As for getting another cabinet, you can just get another and plug it in to the other side of the amp. The amp is 400 watts per side @ 4ohms, or both channels bridged at 800 watts @8 ohms. So, you can put your 8 ohm cabinet into one side, but it won't get the same power as a 4ohm cab would.

And yes, the WT-800 has a preamp out.
  11. Is it labeled preamp out, or are you talking about using the post send?
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The SWR has two features I personally find very useful:

1. two banks of EQ which can be footswitched

2. The DI out is more flexible

Both heads are excellent, though.
  13. FWIW, I play through an SM-900 and an Eden D-410XLT, and it sounds great. Just to confuse you a little more. ;)
    I'm sure you'll be happy with either amp.
  14. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hey man, I think that switchable EQ is bull. Chances are the only person thats gonna notice when you change your EQ in the middle of a song is going to be you. Nobody really cares in the audience. All they're there for is good sound, not your special EQ concoction. NOW what I do feel is a good idea that Eden has incorporated into their amps is the footswitchable Turbo Boost, or Gain Boost. Thats a good idea when you just need alittle more volume for that solo! :D

Eden equipment is great. Get the WT-800 and be happy! :D
  15. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and if you like EDEN better, great!! But how is footswitchable EQ can easily also use the second EQ for a "turbo boost", to me that is a great option...and to me, what I hear is alot more important than what the audience hears, they are looking for the effect of the whole band, whereas my job is too make sure that I sound good!!

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Then what makes you think the audience is gonna be able to tell the difference between an SWR and an Eden?;)
  17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I don't think most of my drunken "audience" members, if you wanna call 'em that, can tell the difference between a bass and a bazooka, let alone a bass and a guitar or a bass and a, well, anything. Eden or SWR? Right.
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    In that case... get a keyboard;)
  19. good god... i knew it would happen "Eden vs. SWR"

Munji, and i will always say EDEN. (i hope i'm correct munji)

Others will always say SWR (i try not to pay attention to them, so i dont know who that is :D ;) )

Both sides are right. An opinion cannot be wrong. Mr. Cookie... the best you can do is read the facts sheets, and decide which has the features that better suit you if you like both heads equally.
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You are correct, Mr. Muttluk, sir.

As for you, MrFortuneCookie, I'm pleased, but not for me. What, with all the insanity in this world right now, I'm so thrilled that rationality and general right-thinking has prevailed here. It doesn't get better than this. Congratulations, man!