SM-900 Took a licking, kept on ticking...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jan 12, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I searched for an old thread about an SWR SM-900 that had taken a tumble. I think it was posted by someone named Amy, username was clatteramy or somesuch - anyway, she must be gone because I can't find the post, showing pix of an SM-900 that hit the ground while housed in a rack case. The front panel was warped because all of the weight/force was borne by the rack mounts on the front panel.

Let me tell ya, my SM-900, in a rack case, fell about 6 feet down and hit concrete, and the warpage is much worse than the pics Amy posted. The rack handle on the right hand side now points inwards! It's times like this that I wish I had a digital camera, so I could post some pix. I rushed into the club and set my rig up to see if it still worked and I was greatly relieved that everything seems to be working fine. Whew!

New rule - the amp gets carried separately from now on -- no stacking on top of castered cabinets!
  2. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Another good rule for castered cabinets is to always close the trailer door if you're going to move your vehicle before completely unloading!:D Luckily it was only my backup cap at the time. A Peavey at that!
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Anyone have any clue about that previous thread on a fallen SM-900? I want to see those pix again and compare it to mine. I could not find a thread or user after considerable searching. I see Clatter is running a banner ad on TB, and I'm pretty sure it was the woman from Clatter (Amy?) who posted the pix. Anyone remember her TB username?

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I think it was "tosya", although I did a search and couldn't find the thread you were referring to. I'd be interested in the damage pics as well.
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    tosya seems to be correct. Perhaps I saw this on the SWR forums -- thus my confusion on the post and the username. I'll check.

Thanks, ixihula!
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yup, I am clearly on crack - this was posted over on the SWR forums. I'll take the liberty of reposting Amy's picture here. Mine is bent the other way, and bent maybe twice as much/far (the surface finish is creased). Her amp apparently worked fine after the crash, as well, according to her post over there.

7. my SWR 750 has a bend just like that picture. Still works fine just screwing the handles on is a little harder now.
  8. Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    Here I am!!! Better late than never, right?!

I took my poor 900 in to have it checked out, and sure enough I had cracked the circuit board. Fortunately they were able to repair it and it's been working great ever since!

You should have it looked at just in case, if you haven't already. Isn't that the sickest feeling when you see it go flying?! You're right, we'll never make that mistake again!! I hope yours is OK!