Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SM400S EQ Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Anyone have some good EQ Settings for the SM400S?I've heard of people coaxing an Eden sound out of their 400S.Anyone able to get close to the GK sound?With the great EQ section on the 400S i'm sure someone out there has something?

2. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    I have one & I've read that these amps are very responsive to different types of tubes. If you're looking for a warmer tone, check out some other tubes. There was a recent post talking about this.

Strictly using the EQ, I don't know much "warmer" you could make the amp sound.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I wasn't looking for a warmer sound.I just know that the 400S is pretty uncolored when set flat compared to other amps that are voiced a certain way(Eden) even when set flat.Given the EQ section of the 400S,it seems one could get a lot of different tones by just using the EQ.

4. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i've never played an eden. my sm 400s has a telefunken tube in it and i usually set the eq flat with the aural enhance turned off and the transparency knob backed off just a bit.

-s

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    My "fat" recipe:

Gain set kind of high so that the clip light flickers a good amount (I set the gain after setting EQ)

Aural enhancer at about 11 o'clock

Bass at 3 o'clock

Take the second band of the graphic eq and boost at around 200hz by 6-9 db.

take the fourth band and cut ~1khz by about 6 db

treble at 9 o' clock.

I use an Aguialr 410 which is fat to begin with so you may have to push a little more on the low mids, or better yet, cut more highs.

Also, keep in mind that I'm using an active bass with onboard eq (bass boosted, mids flat, hi's cut)

I'd be curious to see other people's settings.