SM57 + Amateur Home Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by joon, Apr 26, 2002.

1. joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Hello all -

This guy I work with asked me to ask this question here -

He'd like to make demo recordings of his group, which rehearses at his house and he's trying to avoid unnecessary studio fees. At present, he just uses an ordinary el cheapo vocal mic plugged into a good quality tape deck, set up so that it's pointing at the instruments in his living room. He's wondering if using a high end mic like an SM57 would significantly improve the sound. He only has budget enough for a single mic. If he needs to, he's got software on his computer that allows him to record track by track, and the mic could be used for that too.

So the question is, given that it's just a makeshift setup in his living room, which hasn't been turned into a studio with muffling and all, would an SM57 produce better recordings (it's all for demo purposes, no more), enough to justify
    the investment?

2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    That all depends on how much money you have to play with... but IMO, not really. It will make a difference, but unless his present mic is absolute crap, the difference will be slight. There's also so many other factors involved with cheapie gear and methods that can take away that difference.

I'd give him the advice to learn as much about home recording until he can answer that question himself - and then decide whether the mic is worth the money or not.
  3. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I wouldnt consider an SM-57 a high end mic... its well under $100. But yes, it will make a big difference in sound.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The SM57 is an excellent mic and you will struggle to beat it unless you spend a lot more money BUT

I recently live recorded a band onto a four track portastudio using 5 mics and line feeds from the amps. Most people (including me) would prefer to use more microphones for recording a band.

The result was quite boxy. Don't expect Abbey Rd quality from one 57 pointing at the band.
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Go to Mars music and buy an MXL V67 condenser mic for 100 bucks. By far not the crwam of the crop but is certainly good enough for capturing room sounds. It will sound better than a 57.