Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SM900 Clip Light Concerns - HELP??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rod Harder, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I have an older black face SM900 that has been serving me very well for quite some time now but I have noticed that my power amp clip light comes on at the lowest of volumes recently. The preamp clip light seems to be functioning properly, but almost ANY level of signal seems to light the power amp clip light. I have never had this problem before, and I have owned 2 other SM900's over the years - anyone have any insight here?? The odd thing is that the amp does not seem to be distorting when the clip light comes on, I have used this amp lately with a 4 ohm Peavey Pro810, an 8 Ohm Hartke VX410 and most recently an 8 ohm GK 410 (We play alot of shows with supplied cabs I just bring my rack), and even at fairly loud stage volumes the amp doesn't seem to be distorting even though the clip light is coming on...:meh:
    Obviously something is not right inside the amp, but it seems to be not affecting the tone of the amp, it sounds the same as it did before this started to occur about 3 weeks ago.
    Could it be the tube in the preamp needing replacement?? Faulty sensor.....?? Anyone ever have this or a similar problem?

2. Anyone.....Bueller.....anyone?:help: :help: :help:

3. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I run mine bridge/mono, so I use only the left channel (inner) volume nob. I noticed though that if the right side (outer) nob gets cranked, even though the volume doesn't change, the clip light goes on as if I'm playing at the level that the outer nob is set at. Make sense?

4. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway

Jepp, same here. Probably the answer of your problem. Don`t touch the outer volume knob when you are in bridged mode.

5. :meh: Uh...yeah, that was it........me = dumbass....thanks for your help guys.