Smack the Amp to Change the Volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Donkeybass, May 28, 2003.

1. Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    Hey guys, I have an interesting problem. Its an old Peavey Mark III Bass head that I use for practice. For the past two or three weeks it has had a recurring problem: Every time I go to turn the amp on, it turns on with no volume, not even if the gains and post are on max. My ghetto solution? Smack the top of the amp several times. After four or five smacks, the volume comes up. Also when playing, on occasion the volume will dip slowly and then recover slowly, so that I dont realize it happens at first.

So my question: What the heck is going on with this amp? I know nothing of electronics, and I loathe repair bills especially when I would have the ability to do it myself.

I truly appreciate any feedback.

2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Take it to a qualified service tech in your area. Most music stores have one who works for them. They will probably charge you 20 - 50 bucks to evaluate it.

Or just buy a new amp. :meh:
  3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    If the amp has an effects loop, the solution may be very easy.

The jacks marked "effects return" or "power amp input" have a normally closed switch built in to the jack that connects the preamp signal to the power amp. This switch opens when you plug into the jack. The switch contacts sometimes develop corrosion.

Try cleaning the jacks with contact cleaner. The switch may clean up by simply inserting and removing a plug several times. If that does not cure it, try running a cable between the Effects send and return.

Hope that helps.

4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    From this moment forth, you shall be called "Fonzie".
  5. You are using the time-tested "technical tap". What others have said is true. It has a loose connection internal to it, and a tech can probably find it for you and fix it.

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    LMAO :D :D