Small, affordable bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kemkes, Jul 12, 2005.

1. kemkes

Jul 12, 2005
    Hello everybody,

I would appreciate any input you may have now that I am planning to buy a small, affordable bass amp (combo). I plan to use it almost exclusively when rehearsing and I need only a clean, simple bass sound (I rarely crank up the volume). My band plays rock/pop/funk. Price is an issue, and I really dont feel I need anything big to play well. I am new to the world of bass amps as I have always been playing friends amps till now.

Thanks in advance,
    /Henrik Kemkes
  2. The new Eden Silver Series sounds great and is a very low cost line of amps. Also, the Hartke kickback combo's sound good and are on the low cost end of the spectrum.
  3. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    What's your budget?

What are your guitarists using (watts? tubes or solid-state? amount of speakers?)?

"Small combo amps" rarely work in the bass world, as we need at least three to four times the wattage our guitarist is using.

Please do a search on wattage to find out how much you need as well. It has been explained numerous times and doesn't need to be done again if we use the search function.
  4. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    if you have drums in your band you are likely going to need something a bit bigger.
  5. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I have two Kickbacks but I do not consider them a value copared to the (laughter starts here) Crate 25 watt boogers. They are WAY cheap, rugged and have a rather pleasant shaping circuit. Save a C-note or two and get a Crate. By accident, I found out that 60% of the guys I net-jam with all have the same Crate practice amp and we all LOVE them, for what they are.
  6. kemkes

Jul 12, 2005
    Thanks for the quick replys! Here´s some more info...

The setup in the band is 4 vocals (1 lead, 3 backup), Bass, 1 Guitar (Peavey Classic 30W, 1x12"), Drums, Keys. we play melodic Pop/rock and some funk, in other words we are not in the business of cranking out deafening heavy metal. I play Musicman Stingray and Warwick Streamer LX.

Concerning the budget: I could allow myself to buy something really expensive, but I would rather go for something more budget as I will use it mainly for rehearsing. I guess what I am looking for is value for money and something which is not unnecessarily big...
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Get a small head, 300-400 watts or so, and an Avatar SB112 cab. Versitile sound, lighter than most combos, easy to add another cab or bigger head to later if you do need more power.

Could be had for a few hundred bucks depending on your choice of head. The Mag300 package from Avatar would be about $500 with this head shipped. Other head options could include Hartke's 2000 or 3500 models, the GK400RB, or used gear from all sorts of companies.

A much more effective rig than any combo for a very small price, with way more options for the future than a combo (which is pretty much limited to "sell me and buy a stack" when you need more).
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You're going to want around 300 watts or more, so I would recommend a half stack, perhaps a 2x12 or a 4x10. A Classic 30 is a LOUD 30 watt amp. And you're definately going to want more wattage to hear yourself.

A 400RB-IV is the perfect amp for the bill. The guitar amp in my studio is a Classic 30 and my 400RB-III keeps up just peachy with it.
  9. illidian

Jul 2, 2004

Three hundred watts will do the trick and have good headroom. Since you want value for the money, I recommend an Avatar 1x12/2x10 mini-stack (or 2x12/4x10 if you want a bigger stack). It will have the bottom and low end from the 12 cab, and the punch with the 2x10. Portable, light, great for the price, and affordable.

As far as a head goes, just keep it simple. Since you don't want to spend a lot of money, look at used options at $400 and lower. Old GK heads are great (400RB, 700RB, 800RB) and will fit into this pricerange easily. If you want to go new, there's the Ashdown Mag 300 that everyone here likes for a bit under $300 from Avatar, I personally like the GK Backline 600 for $300 new (less at Bass Northwest), and there's the Behringer 300-watt head for $200 or the new 450-watt head coming out soon for $250-$300 (I'm not sure) [Behringer is known for stealing designs and selling their product with cheaper components and cutting corners, thus able to sell basically the same product for cheaper, do a search to catch up on their ethics - they have been sued, and lost, multiple times].

Good luck, I'm sure some others will jump in to help as well.
  10. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I've always been a fan of the SWR LA Series combos. I own one of the older models and it has a great tone for what it is.
  11. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I like the SWR LA series combos as well. They're great for bedroom practicing, but I wouldn't use one with a band.
  12. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah the Workingman's series is much more practical for giging Id say. Depends though, if your playing with acoustic players and a quiet drummer, the LA15 might be enough. The workingman's are significantly more expensive of an investment. Not to say its not worth it, but you cant spend what you dont have hehe.
  13. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    Man, I thought we were talking about a CHEAP practice amp. If I thought you were into the 300 watt range I would have left your post alone. My bad. :crying:
  14. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    haha thats like this story I know about a guy that goes to buy tampons and leaves with a boat and fishing gear....

anyway we are very good at coaxing people into big ol stacks haha

maybe an old peavey combo?
  15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    As a note, I play in a band with a very similar set up...our guitarist plays a classic 30 too...and I don't think a SB112 will cut it against the rest of the stuff. I have one, and a 300w amp, and I find it's just not quite enough for the setting...In my opinion, you'd need a 2x10 or such to go with it. If the SB112 were just a *little* louder without reaching its threashold, it would be a go.
  16. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I just repaired an old Peavey combo with that UGLY Scorpian speaker (stuffed with foam) and it kicked it some BUTT! Sure, you can pick em up for $100.00 anywhere but it impressed me. For practice or a church, I would have no probs using it. Just repaired a Carvin with one 15" and it was pretty much the same. Ain't worth the repair bill, compared to a new one, but it sounded sweet. And these things have been doing it for 12-18 years.
  17. CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    Expensive for a brain surgeon or budget
    for a day laborer? Only new? Possibly used?
    I'm new here also, but i think that you would
    get a lot better answers if you say what your
    price range is!?