Small all tube or hybrid amp with headphone feature?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by High Camp, Sep 24, 2016.

1. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    My bassbuddy is looking for a small all tube or hybrid amp with a headphone input for late night practice in his vacation house.
    It has to be able to be used with and without a small basscabinet.
    He and I haven't found any yet, so...any one got any suggestions?

Any help will be appreciated, including the creative out of the box ideas, as long as it is (more or less) serious.

Our thanks in advance for your effort and troubles! :)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Won't find any tube amps with headphone jacks, but I will plug my PF-50T up to my computer interface through the transformer DI and use the interface's headphone jack and it sounds amazing. PF-20T might be up his alley, too, although you get some more output through a cab and a more deluxe EQ with the 50T.

High Camp likes this.
  3. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Apparently, the Ampeg 7 Pro is the first hybrid amp I encountered (and I have checked several brands so far) that has a headphone input.
    Nice!
    Now, 1000 watts for home practice is a bit over the top, but it's a start!
    And the JimmyM trick is a good one to remember too.
    The PF20T and PF50T are the only all tube amps (that I know) that don't have to be connected to a cab.

>> still important to know that for my friend it doesn't have to be Ampeg.

On a side note:
    Could be a nice next project for Ampeg: a pre-amp or DI or small 5 watt amp with a tube in it and a headphone input (and all the other goodies).
    The PF20T and the SCR-DI features combined, mixed or melted or so...

4. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Mesa Subway 800 and the Genzler Magellan have headphone jacks. They're hybrids. I'm sure if you shopped around and went through the all micro heads out there you'd find several more. Both my Shuttle 6.0 and 6.2 have headphone jacks, but they're discontinued. These amps will work fine unplugged from a cab.

High Camp likes this.
  5. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    G-K MB Fusion 500 (has a real tube preamp)

Tech 21 VT 500 (imitates having a tube preamp and amp)

High Camp likes this.
  6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. For my education, please: I thought that a hybrid instrument amp was a mix of tube and solid state functions (typically tube preamp plus solid state power amp). If that's the right definition, how are the D-800 and the Magellan hybrids? But if that definition is wrong, please correct it. Thanks.

High Camp likes this.
  7. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I think you're right, Snaxster, the D800 and Magellan don't have tube pre-amps.
    However, the GB Shuttle 6.0 does!
    So we're down to 600 watts (4 ohm)/375 watts (8 ohm).
    Still a lot of watts and there aren't a lot of GB amps in the Netherlands, but it's small and light.
    Also one to remember...

Al Kraft likes this.
  8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    That mirrors my understanding as well and as much as I love the D-800 neither it nor the Genzler fit the definition based on what I know. The Mesa Walkabout or GK MB Fusions would be good examples of hybrids based on my understanding of the term.

As an aside, I think the MB Fusions (at least the 500) have a headphone output.

High Camp likes this.
  9. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    The MB Fusion does have a tube pre and a headphone input, so that one goes to the shortlist too, great find!
    Modeling amps like the VT500 won't do, there has to be an actual tube in the amp.
    My friend is an absolute tube lover and want his sound to be as perfect as possible.
    (a hybrid is already a concession to him)

10. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Laney Nexus-SLS and Eden WTP600 are two more.

So, here's the list up till now:
    hybrids with a headphone jack:
    - Ampeg SVT 7-Pro
    - Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and 6.2
    - Galien-Krueger MB Fusion 500
    - Laney Nexus-SLS
    - Eden WTP600
    All tube amps that don't need a cab:
    - Ampeg PF20T and PF50T (but don't have a headphone jack, so requires the JimmyM trick)

11. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    I've been going preamp out of my hybrid into a headphone amp. Hybrid amp is tube pre and headphone amp is tube, so it's actually a very very low output all-tube rig and sounds amazing.
    For the ability to go out to a small cab or to some kind of line level something, he might consider those pf50/20s, or maybe a super bassman.

High Camp likes this.
  12. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Can you tell me what exact preamp and headphone amp you use?
    This just could be the ticket...

13. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Nope, your definition is right.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021