Small amp for vocals and acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, May 11, 2019.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Is the keyboard/acoustic amp the kind of basic no-frills amplifier that a person would buy if they didn't want to get a small PA system? Such as a singer accompanying himself with an acoustic guitar, and maybe putting the guitar and mic through a simple mixer before going into the amp.

Also, is a small keyboard amp something that a person could use in lieu of a PA system if just wanted to speak to a large group and have a little bit of amplification?

To rephrase my question, is the keyboard amp just kind of like a simple speaker?

2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I use my Ampeg BA 108 for school events with mic and ipod. Works great

ElectroVibe likes this.
  3. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I hate the tweeters in acoustic guitar amps for vocals. A powered speaker with either a built in, or separate mixer sounds great. For a bit more dough than an acoustic amp you can buy one QSC 10 or 12 and it will perform much, much better. Buy one speaker stand, and you can swivel it to act as your own monitor. An external mixer is nice since most offer reverb, and perhaps better EQ.

ElectroVibe likes this.
  4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I agree. Most of the keyboard and acoustic guitar amps I have used did not have a very smooth transition between the woofer and tweeter, so the sound was a bit harsh in the upper mids. As far as volume and ability to handle lows, some keyboard amps are pretty decent and many acoustic guitar amps are pretty limited.

I have used some keyboard and acoustic guitar amps that sounded nice though and it's very convenient to have the EQ and reverb controls at your finger tips in a grab N go package.

Ultimately I think a small mixer and a powered PA speaker will provide significantly better performance, at a higher price and reduced convenience. So you have to decide what your priorities are and how much you want to spend.

ElectroVibe likes this.
  5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Agreed with Paulabass and Wasnex: I'd go with a musician's powered PA-style speaker. (Many of these offer two inputs with independent gains, pitching to solo performers who need a simple package to amplify vocals and guitar.)

If you elect to use a combo amp, consider how you're going to mount it on a speaker stand so that the front row of bipedal acoustic baffles doesn't absorb all your sound. (If you're handy, you can modify many combo amps to make them pole mountable. Just make sure the combo is light enough that you're comfortable lifting it above your head and maneuvering it onto the speaker pole.)

ElectroVibe and Wasnex like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021