1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small amp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bfinn19, May 24, 2012.

1. bfinn19

bfinn19 Lefty by Grace

May 24, 2012
    Gig Harbor, WA
    New member -- been a guitar player for some years and starting to play more bass. I'm looking for some recommendations on small bass amps - studio/small venue, not too massive to lug around, combo vs head/cab, speaker config (15, 12, 2/4 10s) etc.

Music style mostly blues/jazz.

Thx for the suggestions

Bob

2. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
  3. I currently am digging my Ampeg PF-500.

4. Ed Storer

Ed Storer

Aug 2, 2011
    I have a G-K MB200 head (2 pounds) and an Acoustic Image Contra EX speaker (about 15 pounds). Very smooth clean tone; down-firing woofer and front tweeter/mid. I purchased the head new ($250) and the speaker "like new" ($300). The speaker comes in a case that looks and feels like a drum case. I never use the case.

I'm playing bluegrass jams, but I know this would make a great Jazz amp. I'm not sure it has enough volume to do "club" blues (depends on the drummer).

Most of the time, I'm playing an Ibanez SR750, but occasionally I'l use an '86 Jazz Bass with Bartolini's. Both guitars are strung with D'Addario Chromes.

Good luck in your quest.

5. bfinn19

bfinn19 Lefty by Grace

May 24, 2012
    Gig Harbor, WA
    What cab are you using?

6. Small no longer means low powered with all the new micro amps. Budget?

7. I hear old Gorilla amps are one of the best amps for blues. If you find them, they're pretty cheap.

8. I run a fEARful 15/6 or 1515/66.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
  10. I gig with a PF500 and a 2x10 Avatar cab; I also use the SWR WorkingPro 12 for tight-space situations and when I have PA support. The SWR's xlr out is a hit with soundmen, though I need a DI for the PF500, as it is a very hot signal. Both rigs have served me well under all conditions.

11. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    Henriksen Jazzamp with 12 inch speaker (Emi Beta-12). Can be used for bass as well for a clean jazzy guitar sound. Sound similar to the old Baby Brute by Polytone.

12. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    For jazz and blues, Ampeg BA112. Small, portable, great sound. Limited power, but it can't be beat at the size and price.

13. Phil Jones Suitcase. Maybe 14" x 16" x 16" and 50#. Four 5" speakers and 200 watts. Retails for about $1200. I've used one twice for blues and loved it (with my 5-stg Warwick). Very clean sound and is hardly noticable on a small stage.

14. gobearbass

gobearbass

Apr 1, 2012
    I have an Ebs reidmar and berg 212 and it's honestly the only thing I need. It can get loud as hell, is crystal clear but you can get grit and super portable IMO.

15. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Genz Benz 6.2 12t combo. Great, if not the greatest, for the small stuff, add another 12 for the big stuff.

16. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Richfield, Ohio
    I use (2) Markbass NY604's with either the GK MB Fusion or the Streamliner 900. Very small set up. Cabs are basically 19" squared. They weigh about 30 pounds each. In small clubs I only bring one and it does the job. Good luck.

17. bfinn19

bfinn19 Lefty by Grace

May 24, 2012
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm leaning at the moment toward an AudioKinesis Thunderchild 112 cab (4 ohm), and a G-K microhead, like the MK200 or MK 500, or even the RB700-II, which has a dual output amp for high & low frequencies.

What I don't have a good feel for is how much power is needed for bass. In guitar amps, 30-50 watts is plenty for bars/small clubs -- even the smaller amps can pack a punch unless the band is very loud.

So how much power is needed (I know, hard to answer) for a small cab like the Thunderchild? No metal, remember -- mostly blues, jazz, lots of clean headroom needed.

And this is already getting spendier than I originally envisioned...

18. 200 watts minimum for bass. Bass takes a lot more power and speakers than guitar ever will. The MB500 might be a little high on power for a single 4 ohm 12" but you will have more headroom. The 700RB II does have a "tweeter" amp but you can only access it from the 2+,2- connection on the speakon outputs so keep that in mind.

19. You need to define "too much to lug around". You can literally throw a fearful over your shoulder and put micro amp in backpack with bass in your other hand. But you can't recommend gear without a budget.

More speakers generally makes more noise than more watts. Neo is way lighter than old school stuff, but costs big bucks. A hand cart makes life a lot easier.

200W is fine for an amp that can play with unamped drums and guitar volume under control. Spend the rest on whatever you can carry I guess, whatever that is, however much is left over.