1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

small amp with lots of bottom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrmoore, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mrmoore

mrmoore

Jul 19, 2005
    Guys..I am an old guy (66) who has played all my life and been thru ampegs Kustoms, etc. I recently had a light stroke and I am shopping for a light weight combo amp that I can lift and load. Preferably a 15" of some brand. Carvin makes a micro 15 (35 lbs) but I hate to buy without playing it to see if it has bottom end. Any suggestions??

2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Go to Guitar Center and try a MarkBass combo. Your health is worth the extra$.

3. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Glad to see you're back at it! I agree that trying a few things out is a good idea.

4. I agree with the above posts - and welcome back. Also I’ve been very happy with my Gallien-Krueger MB115 combo (15” speaker, 200 watts, lightweight, compact, lot’s of bottom, and very affordable).

5. garnermike

garnermike

Dec 11, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    mrmoore:
    I am 62 and was on the same quest as you are for two years. Wanted power, bottom and light weight. Played or owned GK MB212, GK MB115, Carvin MB15, and Eden E15. None of them really "got to the bottom" of what I wanted.
    Finally got an Ibanez P3115 Promethean. 300watts, 39 lbs. and a great bottom tone. Happy since taking delivery 7 months or so ago.

6. z65

z65

Dec 12, 2007
    Europe
    Markbass has lot of bottom, but isn't a natural bottom.
    i like the price, the weight, but in terms of low freqs
    imho there are much better cones around

7. PrairieDogma

PrairieDogma

Jul 11, 2012
    Hamilton, ON
    Things are getting better and better. Lots of good, light, powerful combos out there. The big choice is tone/power Vs size/weight Vs cost - pretty easy to find two of the three - more challenging to find the right combination of all three together.

To complicate things, you could also contemplate one of the micro amps and the speaker cab of your choice. I'm not convinced it's more expensive, especially if you can find a bargain on at least one of the pieces, and it can end up with lighter packages by putting the amp in the gig bag or (as I do) a recycled laptop bag with the cords and such.

I found a bargain on an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500. I rented a Traynor TC112 for a month and thought it sounded pretty good. But I fell off my wallet and bought a Baer ML112 that should arrive this week. 12 lbs heavier, and a lot more expensive, but I'm looking forward to it.

Good luck and have fun with this.

8. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Check out the new TC Electronic BG250. Cheaper than spit, and sounds great.

I don't like their other stuff, and was prepared to be unimpressed. But it's a dandy little combo, with more punch than the G-K MB115.

9. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    If it doesn't have to be a combo, there are some great light amps, and light cabs out there...personally I think the Genz Streamliner has great lows and is stupid light...then there are tons of awesome small cabs. I'm obviously biased :)

10. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better.

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've tried and liked the GK MB115, but it was a little too clean for my tastes.
    Can't beat the portability, though! And it seemed to go pretty deep...

But the main thing you should get from all these posts is; "Ya gotta go try the amps out!"

Last week, I went on a "Talkbass Binge" and read everything I could get my hands on regarding a couple amps that I was interested in.
    I really spent a silly amount of time on it...

Then I found a GREAT local store that had ALL of those amps, along with several others, so I went and spent maybe 2 hours there.

Once I plugged in and played those amps, I didn't go with ANY of the ones that I had so exhaustively researched here.

I went out looking for an amp with overdrive capabilities, and ended up with a squeaky-clean amp and a very subtle overdrive pedal.

My time committment: getting in the car, driving to the store, plugging MY bass into the prospective amps, then driving home -- maybe 25% of what I spent in front of the computer, and much more rewarding and informative.

I'm not sure if/how your stroke affected your mobility, but as long as it's possible & practical for you, I think a trip to a store or two is your best bet...

11. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I would suggest the GK MB115 as well. I love mine, especially with the EQ on my Zoom B2 set up the way I like. I am also thinking about a second one. One to run solid bottom the other adjusted for highs and run effects through and controlled with a A B Y switch

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Tecamp pleasure board, or the buttkicker edition, and In Ear Monitors (IEM)
    You'll feel and hear the bass like never before.

Also, new powered PA speakers have DSP and many features that makes them easy competition for "Bass" only gear.
    Check it out
    http://kformusicians.com/english/

13. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Eden WTX 264 and the e110 cab. Light. It is a one trip gig..

Can't help if your drummer is "Keith Moon" but until you play one you won't believe just what has happened.

14. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    Streamliner all the way, I have not tried the 600 but the 900 is great and so light it defies logic :D

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, the Streamliners do put out alot of low end, sound great, and are really light - great product, and a great company, IMO...

- georgestrings

16. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Yup. What he said! :hyper:

17. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    Eden WTX500 with the bass knob pulled and a nice 12" cab.

I play the WTX260 with a D112XLT for practice. Very portable
    and light weight. With the bass knob pulled this amp becomes a
    different animal.

18. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Another vote for the GK MB115,,,, lightweight, great tone and inexpensive.

Cheers
    Davyo

19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I hear nothing but good things about the Streamliner. As far as cabs go, contact Andy Lewis at Acme. I saw a photo of his "prototype" 2 X 12" composite enclosure which is supposed to be stupidly light yet carries the similar vibe as the earlier models. Not even sure if they're being offered yet but maybe a phone call describing your plight.....hmmmm. I'm 54 and my gear is gaining weight each weekend or so it seems.

Riis

20. heynorm

heynorm

Oct 21, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    Another +1 on GK MB115. It's sometimes too loud for classic country for the 'grand generation," held its own with local blues band's jam night at a club. Had my Ampeg BA115 in trunk, just in case to add, but didn't need it.