1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small Ampeg Combo for recording and gigging/main amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SJAddis, Apr 22, 2010.

1. SJAddis

SJAddis

Apr 19, 2010
    What do you folks think of one of those small 200w Ampeg combos for a main amp? I have been lugging other systems/cabs around for years and need something small, portable and warm for a main amp. I presently own a GK MBE-150w and like it but still haul a Hartke 410 cab around with it.
    I rather like the onboard tuner, clean XLR and all that too.

I need a small, nice amp that is reliable, warm and the last I'll ever need to buy. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Doug1as

Doug1as

Mar 3, 2010
    What kind of music do you play? That would drive my decision.

I think the vintage sound out of that amp can be tweaked to sound convincing. If you play a lot of different styles, I don't feel that the Ampeg is particularly versatile - even with all the new presets.

I often have used a Polytone miked into the PA for bigger gigs and been very happy, but I am seriously vintage and I don't slap much at all.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    versatily comes from within, not from the gear.

sj, as for the ampeg combo, i think you want it for the wrong reasons. when it gets right down to it, bass = big, and a small combo, while absolutely having a place in the pro world, is not going to work for everything unless everything you do requires a small combo and doesn't require a ton of volume. if you're unsatisfied with your hartke to the point of carrying a 410 with it, it isn't going to be much better with a small ampeg.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 for studio work, a combo amp will work wonders. Also, if you play in a low-volume band, like light jazz, you'd be ok there as well. But, if you rock, even a little, the thing that makes you heard is the 4x10 speaker cab. No 210 or 115 combo can compete with a big multi-driver cab.

5. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    If you're set on Ampeg and you're set on combo, get a B-15n :)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    :D