Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small and Light Power Amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 20, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i'm on the hunt for a small and lightweight power amp like Stewart's World series. i'd get on, but they're still a bit long and run hot for most soft rack bags. are there any other options for me out there??

2. jokerjkny asked...

]Hey all,

i'm on the hunt for a small and lightweight power amp like Stewart's World series. i'd get on, but they're still a bit long and run hot for most soft rack bags. are there any other options for me out there??

I just bought a Peavey DPC1000 - 500W/channel into 4 ohms, 1000W bridged into 8 ohms and 600W with one channel driven into 4 ohms. The amp weighs 12 pounds. I should get it tomorrow - I have a tracking number already. I won't get the preamp until next week but you're welcome to PM me and I'll let you know what I think when I get all this put together.

allan

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Do a search here on Talkbass. There have been tons of discussion about QSC's PLX amps. The price point is much better than the Stewarts. Plus QSC is a much bigger company in case you need help with your amp.

There's nothing wrong with the Stewarts from what I've been told but I was advised that the either the 1.6 or the 2.1 was the way to go. There was a Stewart 1.6 on Ebay a week or so ago and the bidding never reached the reserve price which I'm thinking was in the neighborhood of $800.

4. 66jazzbass

66jazzbass

Aug 8, 2001
    NY, NY
    The QSC PLX's are all 2 spaces though. I'm interested to hear about the Peavey, I've heard some mixed reviews so a fresh perspective would be nice. THere's a company called Sound Tech that makes an 800 watt single rack unit that you can get for $400. They make mostly less expensive PA stuff but I'd like to see if anyones tried one for bass.