Small and Light Power Amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 20, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i'm on the hunt for a small and lightweight power amp like Stewart's World series. i'd get on, but they're still a bit long and run hot for most soft rack bags. are there any other options for me out there??

2. jokerjkny asked...

]Hey all,

i'm on the hunt for a small and lightweight power amp like Stewart's World series. i'd get on, but they're still a bit long and run hot for most soft rack bags. are there any other options for me out there??

I just bought a Peavey DPC1000 - 500W/channel into 4 ohms, 1000W bridged into 8 ohms and 600W with one channel driven into 4 ohms. The amp weighs 12 pounds. I should get it tomorrow - I have a tracking number already. I won't get the preamp until next week but you're welcome to PM me and I'll let you know what I think when I get all this put together.

allan

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Do a search here on Talkbass. There have been tons of discussion about QSC's PLX amps. The price point is much better than the Stewarts. Plus QSC is a much bigger company in case you need help with your amp.

There's nothing wrong with the Stewarts from what I've been told but I was advised that the either the 1.6 or the 2.1 was the way to go. There was a Stewart 1.6 on Ebay a week or so ago and the bidding never reached the reserve price which I'm thinking was in the neighborhood of $800.

4. 66jazzbass

66jazzbass

Aug 8, 2001
    NY, NY
    The QSC PLX's are all 2 spaces though. I'm interested to hear about the Peavey, I've heard some mixed reviews so a fresh perspective would be nice. THere's a company called Sound Tech that makes an 800 watt single rack unit that you can get for $400. They make mostly less expensive PA stuff but I'd like to see if anyones tried one for bass.