Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

small bad tube amp going bye-bye

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Mar 13, 2001.

1. My trusty Jansen Bassman 50 started playing up tonite... :(

Initially the fuse had blown earlier, so that was replaced. The old Carvin 6L6s that I sometimes run in it were pretty clanky and delivering sod all, so I popped back in a pair of good condition GT 6L6s (which normally give the amp a real boost in the headroom department).

Now, playing softly is OK, but strike a loud note and the amp distorts...looking behind the 6L6s are dimming when I dig in.

Is this dodgy output or preamp (12ax7, 12au7) tubes causing this, or something nastier?

Another question too: why does my Bassman 50 (~62w) have 2 huge electrolytic caps (filters I presume), yet my Bassman 6/35 (~45w) has none? Both run 2 x 6L6s, with 12ax7 and 12au7 preamps and gain stages.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Have a service person adjust the bias, that would be my first guess.

3. Hmmm, hadn't thought of that...I replaced the 2 old 12au7's with 2 good/used 12ax7's, and it "fixed" the problem, although the amp's breaking up a bit earlier now for some reason.

Bias would make sense - it runs stupid hot at the moment - and considering it's a 34 yo amp...

Time for something bigger! :D