Small basic PA / powered speakers

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Slade N, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Slade N

Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    Looking for suggestions/feedback about the many powered speakers out these days. It will be for 1 vocal mic at rehearsal and small room gigs with possible need for adding a little kick thump as well as times. Has any one used these without a mixer?

thanks

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Budget? Some speakers have a DSP setting to be able plug a mic straight in. In my experience, there was not enough gain to get it loud enough. I, personally, would add a small mixer in the mix to get the gain up.

Beej likes this.
  3. Is this for a full band or solo gigs?

If you only really need two inputs many powered speakers have two inputs that are selectable between mic and line level inputs, very basic but could be workable for your needs.

Others have a built in mixer that offer maybe four or six channels.
    The RCF EVOX J Mix series is a little more than a speaker on a stick but they sound good.

Keep in mind many people start out saying they only need something small and then after two gigs outgrow what they thought they needed.

4. Slade N

Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    Not sure on budget yet as I dont know what something usable would cost.

5. DJWhitJr

DJWhitJr

Apr 25, 2020
    St. Louis, MO
    What is your budget and makeup of your band?

You could definitely get by with one speaker without a mixer (if properly placed) for vocal reinforcement at rehearsals. Just know without a mixer most options aren't going to offer any effects options like reverb, chorus or delay which most signers prefer.

Your live sound needs seem a little counterintuitive or at the very least a confusing to me. I don't think you will be happy with a single speaker and no mixer for live use. Unless you are playing in a narrow room you'll want a 2nd one for proper sound projection coverage. Also, I wouldn't rely on one speaker if you are in a situation where you need to mic the kick.

6. Slade N

Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    we are a drums bass guitar trio playing at quiet to medium volume. The drummers kick is punchy but not deep so the sometimes micing of the kick would to add beef not volume. Im the singer and am not concerned about reverb but ok with it if it comes built in

7. DJWhitJr

DJWhitJr

Apr 25, 2020
    St. Louis, MO
    What is your budget?

8. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    You'd end up getting a small mixer anyways, for convenience and the features it provides. Individual channel eq and controls, ability to add a monitor(s) etc... I had a few I used to providing for small stage shows, and I'd always get ones with on-board effects, as well.

They're cheap, and even cheaper used, no real reason not to have one.

Get one with a couple more channels than you think you need. :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Beej, Slade N and SoCal80s like this.
  9. For rehearsals, any cheap speaker will do fine. I recommend at least 12" so you get some decent volume. Consider Alto, Behringer, or Mackie. But I do suggest getting a small mixer too so you have some eq so you can fight feedback, and it's also good practice to get to know your way around a mixer. Consider the $129 Behringer Xenyx X1204USB or the $149 Mackie Mix12FX . Also, let me suggest that you look to buy what you will need tomorrow, not just what you need today or you'll be out spending your cash again soon.

Jason Stock and Marko 1 like this.
  10. Slade N

Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    Not sure on budget yet as I dont know what something usable would cost.

11. Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Budget means what you're willing to spend, which typically would include your limit.

You can do this with hundreds or thousands, so pick a number that's too high and that will make it easier to advise and recommend specific items.

DJWhitJr likes this.
  12. Slade N

Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    For a start lets say $500

13. BrentD

BrentD

Jun 7, 2008
    I went with a DBR12 in a similar situation. Ended up buying a second and I don't know if a sub is really necessary depending on the situation.

Slade N likes this.
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Check out the new Alto TS4 series. They now have DSP and Bluetooth at an affordable price. I still suggest getting a small 2-4 channel mixer so you can increase the gain and have a few effects to play with. Check your local Craigslist. May get a bargain. What's your location?

Ethereal Thorn, SoCal80s and Slade N like this.
  15. DJWhitJr

DJWhitJr

Apr 25, 2020
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't think you're going to find a single speaker that will handle vocals and a kick. I just went through this a couple years ago. If you are going to mic the kick then I'd recommend you invest in a sub. Running your kick through tops will likely muddy up and or distort your vocals.

I'm a big Yamaha fan. Great build quality and 7 year warranty. I have a pair of Yamaha DSR112s and a DXSXLF18 sub but that setup is out of your budget.

We have the Yamaha DBR12's for monitors and they sound good. My bandmate also uses them for vocals in an acoustic band and they sound good but will not handle a sub.

Also don't buy a 15" top thinking it will handle the sub. It's not going to do what you want.

Mike Caldwell recommended the RCF EVOX J Mix series. That setup looks to be over your budget but if he recommends something else I would take note. Mike runs a sound company (see his website in his signature line) so his recommendations have some clout.

16. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I am in two bands that use Yamaha Dbr’s 12,s for mains and 10,s for monitors, they work well and are very good for the price, both bands use soundcraft mixers, one digital one analog

17. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    The JBL G2’s had a 4 channel mixer on the back. 1 xlr. 2 quarter inch.

Works great for some situations but adding a kick gets complicated because of limited eq options.
    Small mixers are dirt cheap these days an would drastically up your game for gigs. The 2 mic only for rehearsals is easily done without an additional mixer.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This is just my opinion. But a cheap speaker is NOT going to give you any "kick drum thump" in most bars.... and certainly not outdoors. Never mind that the cheaper the speaker, the more you're going to want a compressor, and even possibly an HPF, on that channel.

In short, if you get a cheap 10" or 12" single speaker, you'll either not get any use out of it for kick drum, or blow it trying.

BlueTalon likes this.
  19. Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    DWBass likes this.
  20. Slade N

Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or

the kick (if used at all) would just be to thicken, not for volume...I know that would be a larger more powerful system than what we need.