1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

small bass amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wunderman, Nov 1, 2010.

1. wunderman

wunderman

Jul 11, 2007
    im trying to downsize my rig, I have a big stack but I dont need it for small jobs . I have a Hartke 3500 and a Hartke 210xl with a Peavey 15 bwidow. Im a little concerned about blowing the speakers on the Hartke 210xl . both cabinets are 8 ohms . hartke 3500 puts out 350 watts at 4 ohms what do you think .

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'd use the amp with one of the two cabs, not both - and just turn it down. Small jobs require minimal volume. I've played through a single Peavey 15 and there's PLENTY of volume there for small jobs.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    What sort of music ? What kind of venues ?

I'm a bit of a fan of that head though it's been ages since I had one. I always liked it though. If you want to go small and lean towards hifi, an Epfani T112 is what I use for lower volume, small stages. It has a nice low end, crisp highs - I keep the tweeter pretty low to compensate. These aren't all that expensive in the used market. I moved to it after a Bag End S15. It isn't light, but it sounds darned good to me... Your 3500 would be plenty for it.

4. dtiii

dtiii

Apr 22, 2009
    nyc
    Yes. HA 3500 + 210xl is a great portable rig. It's versatility will surprise you. I use this set up on gigs playing everything from funk, jazz, blues, rock, hard rock, to metal. I've never had to push the head past the half way mark on the volume knob. Both finger and pick tones sound great. In terms of venue size I'm talking coffee houses, bars/clubs, and catering halls.

I will say that the 410 cab is better for the louder gigs, but the 210 does do the job.

d

5. i bought an ampeg 210AV (the mini fridge) and i am completely amazed with its tone.
    you can but 2 of them for the price of any standard cab, they get plenty loud enough, and sound amazing.

i should mention my main cab is a 72 ampeg 810. so when i say it sounds amazing, thats what i'm comparing it to.