Small bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bob DiGiacomo, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Bob DiGiacomo

Bob DiGiacomo

May 6, 2007
    NYC
    So I would like to hear some opinions. I am looking at small format bass cabs (1x10, 1x12 under 40ish lbs.) I would like to hear what you guys think of the various ones that are out there. Which are loudest? Which handle the low end the best? Which impart their own sound and which are neutral? Best overall winner?
    For perspective I currently have an Acme 2x10 which I love. I play 5's and 6's most of the time and I love the low end on this thing. I also play a lot of fretless and I dig that this cab doesn't change the sound of the bass.
    So the obvious thing here would be to get an Acme 1x10, right? Well, it is my opinion that you can't really try an amp in the store. It has to be on a gig, and I don't have the cash to buy/try all the different options out there. Give me your thoughts and ideas. By the way, this cab would eventually be paired with one of the Genz Shuttles depending on power requirements.

2. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have a Schroeder Mini 10L which has a great growly sound and loud. Around 17 lbs. This cab is a surprise considering the sound that comes out of it.
    Also have a DR Bass 112LF. Great tone and low end. This cab has no tweeter and was designed to handle the low end and as an addition to another cab. Handles a B string easily. Around 30 lbs. Both cabs are efficient. Also have a Yamaha BBT110S which is also a great cab.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Your standard single woofer mini-cabs are great for what they are, but you have to be willing to accept some tradeoffs, like low end response and the warmth of tone that a 2-woofer cab gives you. About the only one I can tolerate anymore is a single 15". So I'd say to get the biggest woofer you can stand if you want low end. A 112 is the absolute smallest I'd be willing to go. That's my take on it, anyway. No refunds on your 2c given ;)

4. JTUK

JTUK

May 25, 2009
    can't see a small 10 on its own working on anything but a light jazz gig.

I'd expect a lone 12 to struggle with full range but might do ok with a tweeter...
    2x 1x12 might be a goer...

15's on their own are lacking as well... just in the opposite direction to the 10..
    They will have the low-end covered but run out of puff if you want any subtlety higher up...

Accept that all these routes have their limitations and you need to decide which ones you can live with...IMO..

5. MellowTone

MellowTone

May 26, 2008
    Australia
    Firstly, what do you play? It all really depends on your definition of "loud"

6. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I have an LDS 1x12 with Selenium horn, Eminence 3012LF, that weighs about 38 lbs. I'm using it for practice and low volume gigs. It keeps up with a sensible drummer very well. I play a Fender Jazz 4 string and it sounds great for Blues and RnB. Take a look at the Low Down Sound web site. Don will make you just about any kind of cab you want.

7. I have Acme Low B-2s and an Acme Low B-1. I must echo the questions regarding your use of a small cab (and how you intend to power it) as well as the concerns about whether a single 1x10 or 1x12 is ever enough for all but the smallest venues and quietest gigs.

I love my Low B-1. It's a great practice cab and I do use it at the occasional gig that is particularly small and/or quiet. It's a 4-ohm cab that I power with 400 watts from my Acoustic Image Clarus (I know. That's more than twice the "recommended" power. Let's not repeat that tired debate here again, however.)

I've also owned an M-Line Wizzy (Euphonics Audio 1x12) and have played a regular Wizzy. I actually have a slight preference for the regular Wizzy. The Wizzies' low ends, while good, still aren't as strong and solid to me as the Acme Low B-1. Overall, I think they are fine cabinets, however.

Just my $.02. Good luck.

8. mntngrown

mntngrown

Aug 18, 2007
    The lost Sierra
    You already own a low b-2, which from my rock and blues focus with a guitar and drummer aaannnnd? is the smallest I would go? So what do you plan to use it for?

9. I have the small eden rig now. ...

WTX500 ... D210XST ... D112XLT...

The one twelve alone growls and has a nice sound about it. I am getting ready to connect it to the 210 as well...

I think that this one little setup should suffice for anything up to a couple hundred people in a med volume gig. I also believe with the 210 under it I should be able to do a good rock gig that isn't too large. With PA support I can hang on a medium sized stage.

The others are right...if you are going to be doing stadiums, then you need that sized rig, if you are doing intimates you need that size rig, and ... blah blah blah. You get the idea.

Know your venue options and then work from there. My thoughts are that the more speaker surface you are moving, and the more headroom you have, the bigger/better off you will be.

Try everything and try not to fall into the numbers trap (550 watts of blah, connected to blah, with blah will be better than anything on the planet.).

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021