Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

small bass rig (clarus) questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Has anyone tried using the acoustic image Clarus head in a straight-up rock setting? (small clubs, bars, practice, etc.) Could the clipping problems I've heard about be alleviated by using a more robust preamp, or is it more of a problem with input gain or poweramp output?
    What speakers do you think are ideal for this amp, considering the need for efficiency, small size and low impedance? I've been considering the Euphonic CxL-110, Bag End S-15D, Acme low B-1, or a 1x12 from a company like aguilar, epifani or bergantino. So far, Acme seems like the best choice for portability and efficiency (I'm thinking a pair of 4 ohm b1's,) but I might need the surface area of a couple of 12's or 15's. Any opinions?

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IMO, Clarus plus Acme is a very bad idea for rock. The Clarus is a great amp, and the Acme is a great speaker, but I think that using them together won't give you anywhere near the sonic output you'll need to play rock.

Where did you get the idea that Acmes were efficient? They sound great (and I own one), but I'm hard pressed to think of a *less* efficient speaker.

Not to be rude, but for rock I'm thinking you may be barking up the wrong tree altogether.

What led you to the Clarus, which is not usually thought of as a rocker's amp (dynamite for upright bass, though)? If it was just the size, I'd suggest you might be better off with an Eden WT400--or conceivably a Mesa Walkabout--and a pair of Aguilar GS112s.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    For fairly straight-up applications, the Clarus into an efficient cab (I've used a Peavey 210TX) works fairly well. Not thunderous but definitely loud enough.

Using the Clarus into my Acme B1, works for acoustic (or mildly amped) guitar and drums with brushes or maybe those multi-sticks. As soon as the drummer started using sticks though, forget it.

4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Sorry, I was looking at the Clarus as more of a cheap, portable poweramp, which could be driven with a separate processor or preamp if you don't want the clean, uncolored sound of the clarus preamp section. I've heard they cost $450 new, which is cheaper than most USED wt-400's go for.
    I know they don't necessarily mean the same thing, but I figured the acme cabs might be efficient because of their low power handling... generally, I've heard that cabs with high power ratings NEED that much power to reach respectable volumes. What would you say is a better example of an efficient cabinet?

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Golem,

i've heard lots of guys use the clarus just as you would. but instead, they drive the front end with a Sansamp Bass DI pedal for grittier tones. they seem to like it alot.

but if you're gonna spend the bucks on a clarus, try out an Eden WT400. killer rock tones in a small 15 lbs. package.

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you just want something light you could get the preamp of your choice with a DPC 1400x power amp in a 2 space rack. Whole thing would weigh about 20 pounds. Might be out of your price range though.

7. originally posted by: Richard Lindsey
    I'd second that. Either amp would be great... very portable, killer tone and reasonable power. If money isn't a big problem you might want to consider a pair of Bergantinos or Epifanis as a brighter option to the Aguilars.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not true--Edens, for example, handle a respectable amount of power and still are pretty efficient. And Acmes don't in fact have extremely low power handling--people often use quite big amps with them.

As for what would be a better example of an efficient cab, the honest answer--and I'm not trying to be a jerk--is, almost anything.

I'd suggest looking at the manufacturer's websites and comparing sensitivity ratings in dB measured at 1 W @ 1 m (sometimes expressed as 2.83 v @ 1 m, but that's only an exact equivalent for 8 ohm cabs). Roughly, higher will be louder. There are other variables that affect perceived loudness, but sensitivity will give you a basic idea.

9. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Whenever I gigged with the clarus at small clubs, I would run it through a bergie 210 and 115 (both fairly effecient cabs).

I always ran it with an aggie DB-924 as the tone controls on the clarus were rather limited (designed more for fine tuning uprights).

I ran into clipping problems even with the preamp when I needed more volume, even in some smaller clubs. I play reggae (low thunder), so, if you're playing more of a mid punch, you may not run into the clipping problems.

I've heard that acme cabs are quite ineffecient - many reports that you need about 500 watts per cab to open them up.

If you're jonesing for a nice preamp, you may want to consider a power amp. The QSC PLX series is pretty light and you could sling it around with a nice light rack bag (If I remember correctly, there is just such a unit for sale here at TB - I have no connection to the seller, BTW). If I were to buy another small amp, I would look into an EA iAmp or save for a Walter Woods, or look into an Eden.

Cheers!

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    rich,

i like that description. never thought of things that way, but yea, Aguilars would be "darker" than these other two.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Slim,

what do you think about the Bergie 2x10? how's it compare to Aguilar's?

12. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Jokerjkny:

I've never gigged an aggie 210, but I did play both the aggie and the bergie in the same store.

I liked the tweeter and crossover on the bergie better than the aggie. The highs were crisp and clean in both (both were far less harsh than an SWR 210), but I liked the voicing of the bergie better. I would characterize the bergie as being somewhat more clean and smooth than the aggie. That said, I can still get plenty o punch from the bergie - it's quite versatile.

I'm sure there is someone else that can shed some light on the differences between the two. I just liked the way my bass sounded better through the bergie with a flat eq.

hth

BTW, was it you that was selling the MTD 435? Did you sell it?

13. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I've been looking into all of these options for several months now. I was considering the clarus for the following reasons:
    -All the amps you've mentioned are light, but they don't come close to 5 lbs.
    - I may need something to play jazz or acoustic gigs as well.
    - From what I've heard, the clarus has no fan, which means no fan noise.
    - As I've mentioned before, it's a lot cheaper than an iamp, traveller (or traveller rip-off) head, Stewart or QSC PLX amp, or (obviously) a walter woods head.
    I was looking for something I could use with a sansamp BDDI, bass pod or similar amp so I could pretty much carry my whole rig in one bag, preferably a poweramp that wouldn't make extra noise or color the bass sound.
    But, if you say it's a terrible choice for rock I'll have to take your word for it, at least until the day I can try one out.

14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I've gigged with the Clarus using a Goliath Jr and a Flite 15 and had power to spare, as a matter of fact I was kicking out to much bass, the sound guy told me to turn it down. This wasn't a large club nor was it a small one. I've also used the Clarus through a 4x10 and a 15 and could easily be heard with a loud drummer and guitarist. If you're clipping this thing, you probably need something else and some ear plugs. :D

15. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Replace the word "clarus" in that post with the name of any other amp and you'll be quoting every amp head review on bgra.net :D

16. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Paul has a good point.

During one gig, when we opened for another band, that band's sound guy ran our sound.

Let me first say that I wish we could afford a good sound guy! I've never heard our whole sound so well!

Second, the bass went through the board and my clarus and bergie 15 were there only for stage reference.

I had plenty of volume to spare. So, if the stage volume on your gigs is managed well and you have enough channels to go through the board, the clarus should be fine. After all, you can go down to 2 ohms with that thing. The direct channel built in is nice.

With the band I'm in, a seven person reggae band, there isn't room for me to go direct. So, I need to fill the room with thunder all by myself. Yeah, gimme some earplugs!

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Golem, your idea is not bad for rock.
    The only thing is, that it's not conservative!

But, if you want really loud output, you will need a couple of cabs (or more, depending on the cabs), and you'll wnat to run them on a total of 2 ohms.

For my usage, which is just about anything exept loud, big venue rock, I'd use the Clarus with a Tech21 Tri-AC or a Korg Pandora or something, and two 10"or12"+5"+tweeter cabs at 4 ohms each. I think I'd talk to Flite about the cabs....
    If I played big venue loud rock, I'd change the cabs for 4 pcs of 6x10" or something. But on the other hand....there would be a PA:D

Bottom line=top line:cool:

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Golem,

your Sansamp or POD with the clarus idea is a great one. give it a try and post back your findings.

Thx Slim,

pretty close to what i've heard. makes me all the more a diehard bergie fan. just wish it was as light as the Aguilar and had nicer side handles like Aggie and not those annoying snap handles. :(

anyways, yea, that was me. it's still for sale if you're interested. PM me.

19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sorry man, I didn't mean to be harsh--I probably shouldn't have said a "very bad" idea. I still think other choices would be much better for rock, though.;)

20. If you're only using the Clarus for its power amp section, why not just go with a Stewart World 600? The World 600 puts out 600w @ 4ohm and 400w @ 8ohm (both bridged). It weighs 10 lbs and costs less than the Clarus.