Small Black Crack on Peavey T-40 bass.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LoopyBEAST, Jul 24, 2022.

1. LoopyBEAST

LoopyBEAST

Jul 24, 2022
    Texas
    Hello!

I just got done stripping and refurbishing my aunt's old bass, a hand me down for a project of mine. This is my first time handling a bass, or setting up one, I was very excited to.

Anyhow, while installing the new strings for my bass, and attempting to set up my bridge, I noticed this long, small Black Crack that goes from the A string, down past the E string.

What would y'all suggest I do? I've already loosened the strings. Would this be an issue with the trust rod inside? I didn't set that up. Maybe it could be because the wood is old, and was pretty banged up by my aunt before giving it to me, and it just let loose? In hind-sight, should of waited until tomorrow to bring it to a shop for set up so they can properly teach me, this thing is from 1980 after all. I was just super excited to teach myself how to string!

Also, I wanted to show y'all what it looks like too! I'm very proud of the work I did on the front! Dark souls inspired engraving. Art was by me! Engraving by my grandpa.

IMG_20220724_233554804.jpg IMG_20220724_233549681.jpg IMG_20220724_233600180.jpg IMG_20220724_225657749.jpg

flannel cat likes this.
  2. Kawai2g4b

Kawai2g4b

Oct 7, 2018
    Texas
    An experienced luthier should be able to fix this to where the crack won’t spread. It’s not something that will make the bass unplayable by any stretch but, given weather changes, it’s better to take care of it now just in case it wants to slowly grow.

LoopyBEAST likes this.
  3. LoopyBEAST

LoopyBEAST

Jul 24, 2022
    Texas
    Thank you so much! I appreciate the information

4. Is it open or does it open if you, gently, bend the headstock? Some thin CA could be wicked in there and clamp it. Without having the bass in hand to examine that’s my first thought. That would not have been caused by the truss rod.

RSBBass and 96tbird like this.