Small Blues Stack 1-15" or 2-12"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassksun, Feb 25, 2006.

Cab for GK BL250 Amp-Playing Blues

Poll closed Feb 26, 2006.
  1. 1x15 Cab

2. 2x12 Cab

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    As a weekend warrior I just wanna play the Blues maybe a little Jazz. Each of my Basses have SD Jazz pups or a SD P/J set up. Using a GK BL250 head with a tube pre. Suggestions in the 200-300 range?

Thanks as usual...and Peace always.
  2. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    212. Reason? More surface area=more volume. The tone will be more solid, too, IMO.
  3. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
  4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You can definately find a used SWR Workingman's 1x15 cabinet for well under that price. This was really the hidden gem of that line - everything else sounded boxy, but this one sounded far more full in the bottom end and the low mids. Goes great with a GK head too. I've never run a tube preamp through it, but it also really likes my vintage Bassman 100 head.

That said, I've got a custom 2x12 / 2x6 on order from LDS in Detroit right now that should match, cosmetically and sonically, my Bassman. I've no doubt that it will be better than the SWR, but for double your budget, it better be. The SWR will still be used though. I made the mistake of getting rid of that cabinet once, and I won't do it again.
  5. personally i'd go with the 2x12, becauase i seem to have some superstition that smaller speakers mean less boom, and more definition...i don't know if that is correct, but it sure seems that way...i think 15s and 18s are kinda boomy, and not a whole lot of definition...
  6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    I voted for the 15. It'll help warm up the GK as well as sounding rounder and fatter. Might be boomier than a 212 but you need that "cushion" under a blues band.
  7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    "Superstition" is correct. Not all 15s are inherently boomy at all. Well built ones, which oftentimes people don't really consider, tend to have more of a low-mid voice than 10s do.

It's really hard to make blanket statements about cabinets, but people do it all the time here about 15s. Wait till Munji gets here ... :meh:
  8. jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    I'm mainly a blues player and I love the sound of my GK 400RBIII through my Bag End S15-D. Nice, light, loud combo with plenty warmth and punch. If I need a little extra warmth I fatten it up with my ibanez phathead bass overdrive pedal. You can usually find them used for around $300.00.
  9. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    exactly! even if a lighter sound was wanted for some things, you could always adjust the eq.
  10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

2x10 for sure for me. 15's are just too slow for my tastes...
  11. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    I've heard that 15s"are floppy and/or boomy...I'm open to suggestions as to what make of 15 you folks think.

I'm headed down to my local shop *shameless plug*--> Pat's Desert Music to check one out. Also I'm gonna try a 2x12.

Thanks for the input!!! :bassist:
  12. ^^That totally depends on which cabinet you have. I think a Peavey Black Widow 115 (the old silver striped version) has way more definition then a 210 Eden Nemisis. I thought the 210 was way too boomy and too pronounced in the lows and the 115 is just growling and sparkling.
  13. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Exactly- 15s, for me, are too "tubby" and floppy in response. Certain 15s are better, like Bag End. No doubt those are my favorite 15. But 12s retain most of the "booty" of 15s, but have much of the quickness of 10s. So it's a good compromise for me.
  14. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    the peavey BW speakers are great. They are the only 15 I've found that I liked.
  15. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I like both, but 12"s usually sound a bit "sweeter" to my ear.
  16. I agree with Eric about the SWR 1x15. It's a great sounding cab and would be excellent as a stand alone. This cab has some sweet low mids. They're also light, about 45 lbs.

My local store has 2 of them, I'm tempted.
  17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Whatever you choose, make sure it's an 8 ohm cabinet. The BL250 isn't rated for a 4 ohm load (and a lot of 2x12s and Peavey cabinets are 4 ohms).
  18. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I used my Eden WT 550 with a Bergantino HT115 and a P Bass over the weekend... great results
    I am a big fan of 15" speakers but they are not for everyone..

I love a P Bass with 15's and good power source...big, fat & warm ... and it hides all my mistakes...
  19. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    First of all; a big thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I really appreciate the help.

Last night I went to my local store to see what they had. I took the *Bricenstein 5* P/J strung with Chromes with me. They had an Ashdown 2x12, Ashdown 1x15, SWR 2x12 and a Genz-Benz 1x15. All were 8 ohm cabs. I ran all of them through the Ashdown amp. I dunno which amp it was...I'm REALLY NOT a gear head. Also, in this case I prefer to buy locally. Keep the $$ at home. Plus Pat, the owner, will match any price from net stores.

G-B.- Schweet but Fuhgettaboutit. Out of my price range.

SWR- Very Punchy. I tried to scoop out the mids. Still came back mid punchy. If it were part of a stack...for rock...I'd go with it.

Ashdown 2x12- Nice. Strong mid. Good low. Almost hi-fi Highs. Mmmmaybe.

Ashdown Mag 1x15-Nice too. I tried to make it wobble at low volume with my B string but it didn't. Very warm. I may not need a pre to get the gritty Blues sound...Hmmmm maybe.

The next step is to take my GK amp in and plug it into the Ashdowns. One of them beeyotches is coming home with me.

Thanks All.