Small board choices

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EdwardofHuncote, Jan 20, 2018.

1. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Haven't posted in the Effects Forum much, because I don't use that many, and don't plan to...

For me, there's always a Chorus, sometimes a Compressor, and coming soon a custom Low-pass Filter, which I expect to use a LOT.

Ordinarily, I just set whatever pedal(s) I'm going to use on top of my amp, and velcro-strap my instrument cable to the handle to keep from accidentally pulling them off.

Like this:
    Amp Settings.jpeg

Ideally, I'd prefer to keep them on top of my WalkAbout/Scout as shown, whether on a pedalboard or not.

So my question is this... by adding one more pedal to this chain, is it worth investment in a small pedalboard like the Nano for instance? What's the benefit? Fewer wires? Quicker setup?

Suggestions or alternatives welcome... advance thanks.

:thumbsup:

2. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NYC
    For me, the #1 reason I wanted to move to an actual pedalboard was power supply. I had a rat's nest of cables on the top of my amp that made setup/break down awful, and the fact that my pedalboard is already pre-wired and ready for one power plug gives me a lot of peace of mind.

With a small pedalboard like a nano you could get a Pedaltrain Volto so your only visible cables are the in/out and the master power cable.

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  3. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Ideally, I'd like to keep it small enough that it would stay on top of my amp, which is a space that is 19" × 8-1/2"... should cover the Nano.

*definitely a plus not having to deal with 3 wall-warts.

4. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    For me, a pedal board keeps everything together in one place. Powered from one single cable (well that's the hope), chained together with semi permanent inter connectors. For my Nano+ board...I pick up up...pop it in the Pedaltrain case and walk it where I need it, along with my amp, gig bag and bass. The set up and transport is quick and easy. I don't spend 15 mins plugging them all in...swapping out duff cables...realising I've forgotten some thing. A one Spot daisy chain works great for low power analogue pedals. The pedals take less wear because they aren't rolling about in a bag somewhere and their sockets and cables take less wear because they don't get taken apart every gig.
    It's easy for to so say "where's my pedal board? Than it is to say...ok...where's my compressor...where's my overdrive...where's my Chorus gone...and where are all my cables?

5. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    When I bring a small board (2-4 pedals) I use a one spot for power, and have a couple homemade boards I made from scrap wood

Faster and simpler setup/teardown and easier to carry than a bunch of loose pedals.

If noise is an issue with a one spot (totally dependent on specific pedals and how they play with others), then I'd look into an isolated supply and a way to mount it together with the pedals. But I've never had an issue with that.

6. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    Having everything layed out and wired up on a pedalboard makes "setting up" a non-issue. I can recall numerous times when I decided to not practice or rehearse at home simply because the thought of laying out / hooking up / messing with a OneSpot daisy chain was just too much (I'm actually not a lazy person at all though)!
    It's also good for the longevity of your cables and wires to be simply set and forget. Constant plugging & unplugging / cables being constantly stretched and bent adds to the wear & tear that'll eventually cause them to stop working.
    I dunno. I definitely play more now that all of my pedals are on a Pedaltrain w/ a mounted power supply.

7. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I see a pedal board as a rite of passage. Like going from shorts to long pants. It shows the world you’re a grown up. It commands respect.

At least that’s how I see it, all the rest is gravy.

8. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Well... I guess I could use some of that too.
    ;)

So I ended up getting a lightly used Nano board (and case) from a buddy at the Alembic Club forum, who just upgraded to a Nano +...
    My New Grab 'n Go Pedalboard

I guess now I need to look for a daisy-chain power supply... I think everything I have is 9v except for one stereo chorus pedal which is 18v... although that one usually never leaves the practice room.

Are any of these better than others? Truetone One 1-Spot MC5 Multi-Plug 5 Cable | Megatone Music

9. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have had great results with One spot daisy chains, until things get big enough and you get some pedals that have very particular power needs. Even after I have moved on to multiple bigger boards and isolated power supplies, I still find uses for my One Spot wall wart and daisy chains.

The link you posted is only for the daisy chain, you will need a wall wart too. I suggest a combo pack like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/Truetone-1-S...6559854&sr=8-2&keywords=one+spot+power+supply

10. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
  11. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That should be fine, as long as it’s got sufficient current. The One Spot has 1700 ma which will be overkill for your application. Just guessing here but the three pedals you mention probably don’t need more than 200 ma total. Give it a try.