Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small body... REALLY small body...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sal_Paradise, Nov 17, 2004.

1. So, I'm making a guitar right now with a freakishly tiny body. Are there pros and cons to this or... ?

I should mention it's 10" wide and 14" long.

And the reggy geggy 1 3/4" thick.

Merci!

2. Does that read BASS guitar? :eyebrow:

3. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Yeah, if this is a bass guitar, and if it is a bolt on neck (which it sounds like it might be) you need to make sure that it is long enough to accomodate the scale you want to use...so you might want to look at using a much shorter scale, which could bring problems of its own w/ string tension and what not....another possible problem with any kind of bass (bolt on, neck thru, whatever) with a body that size would be the balance of the instrument, usually you want the upper strap button to be somewhere around the 12th fret, so if you have a standard 34" scale goin' on, its possible that you could have a neck dive problem with a body that short....then there is the problem of where and how you are going to fit the electronics in it....and probably other things that I didn't think of :ninja: ...

so there are alot of possible problems that you could run into. however, if you have a real passion to create a tiny bodied bass, it would be possible, but you will run into alot more large problems that will need to be overcome than you would if you were using a larger body. Very precise and detailed planning would be your best ally in this project, since you will have less room to repair any mistakes that might happen....Good Luck!

4. CAUTION!! NECK DIVE!! :bag:

[​IMG]

5. LOL!!

6. Unfortunately, it's a guitar. because I have all of the parts layin' around from experiments in the past. I don't even play guitar anymore, but I don't have the money to buy the shizzle I need to build a bass. Which is why I'm making this guy. Hopefully what I sell it for will be enough to get started. If not, I'munna have to sell my Warwick.

7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I think they have a pill for that now! :D

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Ever heard of Steinberger? Has a lot smaller body.
    You need to tame the neck dive, though, esp if it's not head-free.

9. I've heard of Steinberger. He does make super small bodies. I've never played one, but they're ugly as hell IMO.

The neck dive isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's tolerable. It's all working out wonderfully. Soooooooo close to finished.

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    ANd of course, there is the Stick that Emmet Chapman designed.... :D

11. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've heard a lot about these Stick basses. Is it just that? A stick? I'm imagining, basically a bass neck, only a bit longer, with the electronics and everything on it.

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    http://www.stick.com/instruments/

13. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Very cool video!! :hyper: :hyper: I have never seen/heard one of these played before....t

14. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I think it's called Divagra... or maybe it's Neckagra.

15. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Warwick's Thumb Basses have tiny bodies. Good bit of neck dive, but after playing one for about 2 hours, you don't notice the neck dive.

It's easy to get used to.

16. Word! I gotst me a Thumb, and it's no trouble at all. Neckdive or no, I think it's a pleasure to play.

17. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I had a 1994 Thumb Bolt-On 5 for a while and sold it to pay for my Streamer LX 5. A couple days ago, I bought a 98 Thumb Bolt-On 6 on eBay and I can't wait to receive it. I missed the sound of a Thumb. There's nothing like it.

18. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Thumbs have small bodies?? The pictures have always looked like they're of average size.

19. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Picture of my Thumb 5 BO

I know when I got that bass, the first ten people who saw it said something along the lines of "Why's is it so small?" One of the people who said that was a 4-year-old kid. When a 4-year-old thinks something is small, it must be. haha

I'm a big guy, so the Thumb looked even smaller on me. Oh well, it sounds huge, and that's all that matters!