small but punchy cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sunnpeg, May 28, 2002.

1. First time user, I am searching for the perfect speaker cabinet for small gigs. I do run tube heads (Sunn 2000s and Ampeg V4b) and I like lots of bottom end (from my speakers). I am used to using 2-15 cabinets and tried a 2-10 from Avatar but it didn't fit the bill. Most of the time we use subs in the PA so I don't need to carry a 2-15 cab any more. Any suggestions? How are the 2-12 cabs?
  2. I can't comment on the 212 cabinets, but you should definately consider a 112. They really offer a great compromise. They don't have the same crispness of 210s, or the boomy low end of 115s, but my Aguilar GS 112 sounds warm, and has just the right amount of definition. Try one out if you're able to. They only cost $400. Most 112s are rated to take about 300 watts. I don't know about the Sunn, but it would be perfect for you're 100 watt Ampeg V4B.
  3. I second the vote for a pair of 1x12s... you'll be amazed at how good they sound... plus they're light and easy to transport.

I like the Aguilars... but if I had enough $$$ I'd also look at Bergis and Epifanis too.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    You might want to check out Avatar's Compact 115s. They're not boomy at all and seem plenty punchy. I just bought a pair but haven't gigged with them yet.

Avatar has come out with a B112 with a Kappa 12 and a Fostex tweeter. I have one arriving this week although they're not on the Avatar site yet.

$199 plus shipping.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you're interested in a 2x12, Aguilar makes a lightweight 70 lbs. cab that kills.
  6. Today seems to be the day for the GS112.
  7. It's a great little cabinet. And I think that article in "Bass Player" helped the GS 112 out a great deal.
  8. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Sunnpeg, the 12" speaker is making a big comeback. If you haven't tried a modern 112 or 212, you might be surprised. My Epifani T-112s (which I bought used for just a tad more than the price of new Aguilars) have the punch of a 210 and a deeper bottom than a lot of the 1x15s that don't really deal very well with the low B on a 5 string. And the pair of them together are amazing. My 210 and 410 sit unused.

No disrespect to Aguilar, but this forum is kind of Aguilar-crazy. It's strange how many folks seem to think that since Aguilar was the "winner" of Bass Player's comparison, and that no other 1x12 cabs are worth listening to. They certainly seem to be a good cab for the price, but there are lots of good 1x12s out there, new and used. It pays to read the whole Bass Player article, and, of course, to try different cabs yourself, hopefully with your own amp.

FWIW, folks I respect also say good things about Bergantino and EA 112s. None of these are cheap - a whole different league than Avatar - but this is a case of getting what you pay for, IMHO.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I second bben.

there lots of amazing 1x12 cabs. its all up to the sound and feel you want. if anything, the BP article showed how many great sounding 1x12's are out there, at whatever price point. they shouldnt have used the top tone award based merely tone/price, but on overall tone alone.