1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small but usable combo for acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ficelles, Jan 13, 2021.

1. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Looking for a combo for acoustic bass guitar (ABG/AEB), I am after something ultra compact but still powerful enough for an indoor band scenario assuming no drums. Would be ideal if it could double for electric/acoustic cello!

I already have a little 2x8 rig so definitely after a grab-and-go combo.

All suggestions welcome :)

2. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    The Fender Rumble series
    I have the 500 2x10 combo and love it
    Duke

3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    PJB Briefcase.

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Acoustic Image amps are fantastic for ABG.

6. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Look at Phil Jones Bass. That's exactly what they do.

ficelles, macmanlou, frustum and 4 others like this.
  7. Steve88

Steve88 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Macedon, NY
    I recently got an Eden TN 2251. It sounds much clearer than my old combo, and even handles a low B decently. It's pretty compact and easy to pack since it's basically a cube. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I haven't had a chance yet to use it out of the house though.

8. pjbassist

pjbassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you decide to go Old School, the SWR Strawberry Blonde was MADE for acoustic applications! I have one I'd part with, if you're interested.

Strawberry Blonde.jpg

SlowpokeJoe likes this.
  9. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Phil Jones Double 4. 11 x 8 x 6.8 inches, 70 watts, under 9 lbs.

10. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    A Genzler or older Genz Benz combo is always a good choice for great, versatile tone in an easy carry.

11. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    What's your budget?

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Wow, I'm too late.

+++ on a Phil Jones case or a Double Four. Super portable. Won't dent your skull like a big amp but more than you'll need to keep up with a combo without loud drums. I'd describe it as a coffee house amp.

Hurricane Jimmie likes this.
  13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    AER.

Some are tiny and fit in a bag that hangs on your shoulder.

smidgley and Passinwind like this.
  14. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Rumble 100 or preferably the 200c!

Ggaa likes this.
  15. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Came here to say this
    Did a jazz gig with a Kala bass uke and one of these

15-06-2015-420618204.jpg

16. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I've had an AER Alpha 40 - definitely not suitable for bass except in a very low volume scenario imo.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  17. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    No specific limit, but not unlimited. Such a vague response, I should be a politician :)

18. RColie

RColie Gold Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I would recommend the Genzler MG350 BA10-2 combo. There are reviews from upright players saying how natural sounding their instrument is through this combo. It's also great for acoustic and electric bass.

RyanKinBK, Giraffe and ficelles like this.
  19. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Some interesting suggestions, some of them larger than the 2x8 option I already have!

In the short term I have scored a Phil Jones Session 77 combo at a good price, will see how that works out when it turns up but definitely keen to check out the Acoustic Image amps.

One of my concerns about using a "normal" bass amp is they are designed for magnetic pickups and piezos don't always sound that good through them. I have a particular loathing for acoustic guitars through valve guitar amps, but maybe acoustic bass isn't quite so bad.

20. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I have a GKMB110 and use it at church pretty extensively. It was really surprising how much that little amp can do. I don't have a AEB any longer, but have played my U-Bass with it, and it's been stellar. I manly play my p bass, or my 5 string. Our Church Stage consists of 4 singers, band leader acoustic in the pa, electric lead in his own small fender amp, (not sure which one) another acoustic in the pa, mandolin in the pa, drums, no plastic drums cage.
    MB 110 Specs — Gallien-Krueger
    I had been using a Peavy Lynx 110 that I bought when I was 25 or so. It would keep up with all that at volume around 4 or 5. The Peavy finally died, and I replaced it with the GK. Very musical amp, no frills/no hassles. I had originally thought I would need one of those matching powered cabinets:
    MBP Cabinets — Gallien-Krueger
    Turns out I didn't need it. Was suspicious I wouldn't because the PV was a non-class D 35 watts, and the GK is 100 watts class D.

J R Knots and BassToGoGo like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021