Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

small cab(s) that won't fart out so much?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bongomania, Feb 5, 2006.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The recent "Heavy Demands" thread was very helpful -I enjoy the same amount of butt-ugly speaker-punishing low end from effects and such. But my situation is that I need a cab for (a) at-home practice, and (b) small venues, something that has the same low-end-handling capabilities as the Schroeders or Bassons but at low/moderate volume. It's not that I need to hear every harmonic while I play, I just don't want to destroy my speakers.

My apartment is small, and I actually take a cab to gigs. So a Schroeder 1210 could be awesome, but I have not tried one. A 410 or similar size might not fit in the trunk of a cab. I have tried an EA VL210, an SWR 210, and a Bag End D10-BXD, and they all give up as soon as the signal gets to pushing those dirty lows. Again, I am not even playing at high volume, this is moderate apartment-level playing I'm talking about that makes the speakers flutter and blatt and go on strike.

A lot of players recommend an Ampeg fridge (or Berg NV610) for this sort of thing- does having more speakers generally reduce the farting-out effect? Would it make more sense for me to use two 8-ohm 210s than one 4-ohm 210, given the same wattage?

In short, in your experience, what is the best small cab setup for handling offensive lows without farting out?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
  3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    EA CXL-112. Handles lows very well in a fairly compact size.

Sidenote: watching the superbowl half-time show as I type this. Boy, does Mick Jagger sound like butt. If that isn't due to poor monitors, then the man needs to acknowledge that he is aging and retire.

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

did you hear the very beginning? the signal to the "TV" was out, and you jsut heard bleed through other mics. Thats my guess, casue it was BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD. then, 3 or 4 seconds in, it changed. then it was only BAD BAD BAD ( 1.3 less BAD'S... then i rounded.)

imo embarassing for them.

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Yep, sounded like a giant clusterf@#k. Whatcha want to bet that some soundtech is getting their ass chewed out right now.

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Schroeder. Done.

Just heard my first Schroeder today. 4ohm 1212. It KILLED. Easily handled some of the biggest B's I could throw at it. No problem.

7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I concur with the EA CXL112 recommendations. I know where you could get one or two at a great price (shameless plug).

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Forget about how he sounded. Did his wardrobe function properly?

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    <BUMP>

So, we have two recommendations, Schroeder and EA CXL112. I'm wary of the EA's because the VL210 didn't cut it for me at all (though I understand that the CXLs are different).

Any other recommendations? Other brands or configurations? Any confirmation or denial of the more speakers=less blatting hypothesis?

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO,

doesnt sound like a cab problem. rather sounds like you might need more power amp headroom / wattage, cause you're jacking up the bass on your rig. what amp are you running now?

it might be better for you to actually pull out some upper end to achieve that same bassier sound. the lows wont be as punishing, and your amp will have an easier time of handling your overall sound. also, try incorporating a compressor to tighten up your sound. it'll keep things from farting out.

again, a VL210 not being able to handle a low to mid volume situation seems pretty ridiculous to me.

11. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse &amp; use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks &amp; Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Ampeg has a new 112 cab. Birch construction, ported, 8 ohms 300 watts. I played through a pair at NAMM using the new 8 pro & I am picking up a pair for myself. The 8 pro is something like 1400 watts at 4 ohms and it sounded very clear through these cabs played loud with a lot of low end.

the schro 1210 is a bit too rich & round sounding for my tastes, maybe not for yours. The schro 410 sounds killer IMO. its is a pretty small cab for a 410, I think it would fit into the trunk of a cab and will reproduce loud or quiet levels very nicely.

12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Exactly. If any small cab can handle loads of volume and bottom, this is it.

Alex

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how is this a bad thing?

14. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse &amp; use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks &amp; Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    It may not be for you, but I like a darker sound than the 1210 produces. The schro 410 and 1212, in that order, are more to my tastes.

15. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    At the time I was using an iAmp 600, so I don't think headroom was the problem. And I think people are misunderstanding me when I talk about low end- I'm not talking about a B string, or low harmonics, or full-sounding fat bass from a normal signal source. The EA cabs can handle that.

Just like the poster in the "Heavy Demands" thread, I get a ridiculous amount of speaker-damaging low-end push out of certain effects boxes that I use. Even when the audible bass is at a normal moderate volume, the sub-audio frequencies are tearing up the place. Examples include the DOD Meatbox, MAM RS3, or the Frantone Bassweet I just got. Just pluck a note and the speakers start clattering.

So I think I've just answered my own question: I need a shelving EQ/filter set to roll off the below-normal bass frequencies for when I am playing at home.

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    From one massive effects user to another seriously try the cxl112 I haven't heard anything like it, simply wonderful.

Incidently an Iamp600 has popped up over here second hand for about 1/3 of the price I was going to pay for a new EA Iamp800 what do you think to the head in general?

Cheers

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Ah, I know YOU understand what I'm talking about. OK, I'll give them a try. The iAmp 600 is a great amp. Super hi-fi clean sound, and the front panel is easy to read/use even on a dark stage. I only sold mine because I preferred the fatter sound of an Eden WT400.

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've been using the Digitech BSW with massive sweeping octave down synth and it nearly blew my ashodown 4x8 up, the cxl is all like huh oh your trying to get me to work well listen to this. It's amazing and fuzz don't even get me started on fuzz you know how pedals can rob you of your lows well this puts them back in.

I'm just wondering what benefits I'd get with going with the Iamp800 over the Iamp600.

The 600 is just soooo cheap like 1/3 of the price

19. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

One more vote for Schroeder! 1210 puts out such a fat sound that I changed my mind from going with a 15" cabinet to a 1212 before finally ending up with the 1210! Want more bottom and air moved, go with the 1212.
    The new Neo series are supposed to really deliver the goods on bottom as well as weighing much less than the original Schroeders.

20. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    While a CXL112 is a nice cab, if the VL210 can't handle what you're doing, there's NO WAY rhe CXL112 will handle it! In fact, if 12's are what you're looking at the Berg HT112 handles way more power than the EA CXL112. You might want to also check out the CXL210.

Schroeder's, they're loud, but their sound, YUK!