1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small cab suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RayO5421, Oct 3, 2009.

1. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Hey all,
    I have an Avatar 410 cab which I am powering with a GK 1001 head with an MXR bass DI; the tone is absolutely amazing with my P bass.

My new band isn't all that loud now so carting a 410 around to turn just above 1 on the volume doesn't make much sense to me. I am looking for a smaller cab, either 210 or 115, that I can use for shows now and possibly future band practices.

My question to you is, what cab would you get? I have absolutely no doubts about just getting an Avatar 210 but I'm kind of curious about the tone and volume one can get from a 115. I hear the sound is not quite as articulated as 10 inch speakers but I've seen some bands play small clubs and such with the bassist using a single 115 cab. I would prefer the price to be as cheap as possible but if spending more money means better sound and relability, I'll definately spend more.

Here are cabs I've been looking into:
    1) Avatar 210 $320 http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

2) Acoustic 115 $200 http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B115-250w-1x15-Bass-Cabinet?sku=600776

3) Ampeg 210 $300 http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-SVT210AV-Micro-Classic-Bass-Cab?sku=581073

4) Ashdown 210/115 Same price $260http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...X10-Deep-Bass-Cabinet-with-Tweeter?sku=605031

5) Anything else you can suggest!

thanks!
    Ryan

2. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Speaker size only affects dispersion. 15s don't have 'a sound', nor do 10s.

I'd go for the avatar out of those, although something bigger would serve you better. Maybe look at used cabs as well?

edit: I missed the fact that you already had a 410. You should see how much a small Bill Fitzmaurice designed cab is. They're really sensitive and generally great.

3. TundraBooking

TundraBooking

Sep 29, 2009
    With a head like that a 1x15 would be just as loud. And powering a 2x10 might be a bad idea with the amp as well. I would suggest keeping your rig as you have it and putting it in storage. Get a 1x15 combo or 2x10 combo. Look on craigslist in your area.

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    It sounds like you're going from one extreme to the other. Don't rule out a good 2x12, or a pair of 1x12s - and used can be a better deal, particularly if you might want to sell any of it later.

5. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    A pair of 112s would be good. Not too big.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    go to a lot of stores and try a bunch.

7. Yes. By all means, trust your ears and your instincts before you buy based on specs or recommendations. That said, I'd go with a used Bag End 15 or their shallow 210 before any of the cabs you mentioned. The S15D cabs are easy to find, small, loud and light.

8. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    you like the avatar 410 but its too big. the avatar 210 is a terrific solution. you can also have a 610 potentially, for when you want that sort of thing.

avatar 210s come up used and go for not a ton. I'd go that route, therefore little lost ifyou dont like it.

9. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Been using a use Ampeg SVT12HE with my BX500 head, all I can is one great sounding rig. The cab was $200.00.
    DSCF2400.

10. Any of the ACME cabs.But,plan on havin' plenty 'o' power!!AWESOME STUFF!!