1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small cab to supplement 810? V4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baddarryl, Dec 1, 2019 at 8:22 PM.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Hi all I just got a vintage V4B and have decided to get a fridge for it. I also want to get a good cab for small rooms when the 810 would be overkill or invoke fear to bar owners. Does Ampeg make a V4 width 112 or 210?
    There is also a Victor Wooten BXT115 locally that I may look at too. Are they any good?

I thought about upgrading a V4 cab with 4x12’s but that was before deciding to go fridge. I want way smaller if I have that. A good single 12 would carry a lot of rooms.

Apon further reading maybe an AV212 would serve both needs?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 8:49 PM
  2. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    The best cab I think for the v4b is their 2-12, which is the same width

Lammchop93, Mastermold and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  3. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    And looks like the SVT-112AV is the same width also

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    They don’t make any modern cabs as wide as the vintage V4. The new 212AV is a good match sonically but is 24” wide instead of 26.5” like the vintage amps. For matching aesthetic vintage cabs smaller than the 8x10 you could look at the B40, B25, or the V4 4x12. If the look doesn’t bug you the 212AV is definitely worth considering, they’re a great sound paired with the ampeg tube heads.

Bass 45 and Bent77 like this.
  5. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    My bad, thank you

6. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    As a potential, you could do 2 svt210avs; they will be the right width when placed side by side. My V4B is the reissue and it is less wide than the 2 cabs together. Or a V4 4x12 cab; that’ll work too, assuming you can find one (I like its sound better than the 2 svt210avs myself. YMMV)
    The new couple.jpg
    IMG_1816.JPG

7. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Is that a V4 cab?

8. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Yep; I upgraded the speakers in it with Basslite S2012s (custom to be 4 Ohm each, so cab is 4 ohm).

It’s my favorite sounding cab, and I have a flat back 810 (that had speakers replaced with 2005ish US Eminence/Ampeg speakers).

If you want a project, I highly recommend the V4 cab; I’m very happy with mine. I did an NCD post when I upgraded it, that may help if you go down that path. NCD!! I stood on the shoulders of giants and found my sound (Ampeg V4 4x12)

Raw N Low likes this.
  9. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Thank you. I have already read and thought about that. I would imagine that would be a single cab solution!
    I think I may get a custom 112 built locally and pick up a fridge too. Great option if I don’t do that though. I’ll be on the lookout for one of those V4 cabs even if I do, but they sure aren’t everywhere. I bet that thing kills!

CTBassGuy likes this.
  10. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    i do like it a lot.

I would give the Svt210avs a listen, though. I am very happy with mine and I use them for practice each week. They are really easy to carry and do sound good. I’m just spoiled at this point. :D

11. For a tube amp in that range, I really dig a greenboy Dually.

Socobass and Muckaluck like this.
  12. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

@baddarryl: congrats on snagging a vintage V4B!

I used to have one about 10 years ago. It was a 1973 model. Those vintage V4B's are 27" wide. After I bought mine, I looked around for a matching cab, and after a bunch of shopping, I went with a brand new 410 cab from Fliptops (fully loaded with speakers). If you click on the link below and scroll about half way down, you will find a sealed 410 cab that they will make for you in a 27" wide format:

Speaker Cabinets

I have no affiliation with Fliptops. I'm just a happy customer. I no longer have that rig, but I sure liked the way it sounded! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 1:32 PM
    baddarryl and CTBassGuy like this.
  13. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    If you allow me - get a Barefaced in the size you want and never use the fridge again.

I went through so many different Ampeg cabs until finally finding Barefaced and now I have 3 of their cabs.

Lammchop93, bradd and SactoBass like this.
  14. SactoBass

Yes indeed! :thumbsup: The Barefaced line of cabs with the 10" speakers work very well with all-tube amps due to their easy impedance curve (as stated by Alex Claber). The BF 10" cabs I had sounded fantastic with my all-tube 100 watt Fender 100T! :)

15. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I have their 69’er 610, their 810 and their 110. They sound amazing with my SVTs and I can lift each of them with one hand.

SactoBass likes this.
  16. SactoBass

Biiiiiiiiiiig +1 :thumbsup:

17. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    CC38711A-207E-4085-A6D5-B8E4E54D3558.jpeg IMG_6378.jpg

I love the modular ability of the SVT-210AVs.

12BitSlab and CTBassGuy like this.