Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

small cab volume (EA, Epifani, Bergantino, Accugroove)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjazz50, May 8, 2002.

1. I'm hoping to buy a new rig sometime this summer and I would like to be able to compare the potential volume to the amp I have now. I play jazz but I feel that my Workingmsn's 12 is not quite loud enough for some of the situations I find myself in.

The cabinets I'm looking at are the Euphonic Audio, Bergantino, and Epifani 112s as well as the three smaller Accugroove cabs. The amp will probably be the iAMP 350. Could anyone tell me how much more volume/headroom the high-end cabs will have as compared to the WM 12? I know the EA cab will be quite a bit louder than what I have now, but what about the others?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think the biggest difference you're going to see is in the quality of sound. Not that a WM12 isn't a fine combo but there's a marked difference between that and the EA for instance. Coupled with the iAmp 350 I'm pretty sure you'll have not only more volume but a fuller sound overall.

3. Brad, sound quality is definitely the main reason I plan on upgrading, but I could also use a little more volume. The Accugrooves look really interesting to me, but they are less efficient than the EA cabs. If, say, an iAMP + Accugroove Tri 10 rig was noticeably louder than the WM 12, then it would probably be great for me. Of course, I'm sure the EA 112 would be great as well.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    CJAMBLUES,

I just recently bought one of the new CXL series 112's from EA, and the cab is very efficient. I think that an iamp 350 and a CXL 112 would murder a workingman 12 both in terms of volume and tone. If JOKERJSDKSDBASDANY sees this thread, he should be able to confirm this, since he owned an i350 for years. He's also quite fond of the bergantino 112 cabs - I know this because he keeps posting pictures of his every chance he gets. :D

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    CJazz50, maybe you didn't notice I said this:

"Coupled with the iAmp 350 I'm pretty sure you'll have not only more volume but a fuller sound overall.

:)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you mean this pic: ;)

[​IMG]

hehe... :D :D

but seriously, like chrissy-fit said, an iAMP350/CXL112 would harm the workingman in a very Soprano's way. out of the Bergie, Aguilar, Epifani, the EA was the most efficient and loudest. it was also clean, clear, and tough. not to mention the heaviest.

the midrange wasnt as raspy as the Epi, nor as smooth as the Bergie, nor as syrupy as the Aguilar. More disciplined and true to your tone. little coloration, but punchie and deep sounding with whatever bass you threw at it.

my Bergie is about as loud as the Epifani, and a smidge louder than my Aguilar GS112. again, the midrange is sweet like honey, while the Aguilar's was thick like molasses. the only downside is that with my Elrick 5 string, its not deep sounding as my GS112. i'm actually starting to fall in love with my Aggie's tone (see my many other gushing posts), but the Bergie will always have a home with me.

I have played the Epifani, and it is impressive. similar to an Aguilar, but with clearer top end and nicer sounding tweeter. lows arent as churned like butter, but more tougher and tighter. but its also incredibly pricey.

my iAMP350 and Bergie HT112 setup has since become my small jazz/home practice setup. but its one of my fav tones of my whole arsenal. hifi, yet sweet and round, just the way i like it. I've since gotten a new gig that requires slightly more power which i've since moved on up with a Demeter/Stewart setup with my Bergie augmented with an Aguilar GS112. I'm thinking of leaving the Berg at home, and getting another GS112 soon.

7. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    No offence, but personally I think the WM12 is a practice amp, I used one and though it got farty at a fairly low volume.

One of the modern 12 cabs with a good head is in a whole different ball park. I have a pair of Epifani 112s, and just use one of them most of the time. I don't use the second one unless playing with a loud drummer. A pair of these will give a good 4x10 a run for its money.

Make sure you have enough power. For example, an Epifani 112 is OK with my GK1001RB rated at 340 watts but noticeably cleaner and punchier with a bridged QSC PLX1602 rated at 1100 watts. You don't use all the watts all the time, but the increased headroom really improves the character of the sound.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Depends on what your gig is. For me it would be a practice amp too but I can imagine someone could gig with it.

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    id look into an epifani 2x10. light enough to carry in one hand, not at all awkward since its more of a vertical cab rather than a horizontal stack it on a 1x15 type of cab,plus its loud, can handle a b string better than a lot of 4x10's and it sounds goooooood! i just picked a used one up for 425 and am quite happy with it.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own both Epifani and Bergantino 112 cabs.

Either cab with the iAmp should be significantly louder than your WM and a better tone as well. Adding a second cab down the road should let you sterilize small mammals at 50 yards :D

EA doesn't spec the iAmp at 8 ohms, I'd guess it's around 200 watts (3 dB more output than the SWR) and the cabs you are looking at are also more efficient than the SWR, I'd supect close to a 6 dB overall volume improvement which is quite a bit. Add a second cab and you should see a good 10dB increaseoverall, truly twice as loud :cool:

The better tone will also make the rig seem louder still because you will be able to hear yourself better, plus the cabs project well into the room. I constantly get comments from other players, sound men, etc. about the projection and tone from such small boxes.

Jokerjkny gave a pretty accurate assessment though I'd disagree about the Epifani mids, the Berg just has MORE upper mids but it's not honky or harsh. For a typical jazz tone, the Berg gets my vote due to the tighter bottom and the upper midrange cutting power (it really shines when slapping). Epifani wins if you also need some rock/blues booty on some gigs.

While more $$ than Bergantino, Epifani is not "incredibly" pricey. I only paid $80 more for the Epi than I paid for the Bergie.

11. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I use the Ashdown ABM110300C. Its a 300wat 1x10 combo and it has one the phatest warmest sound i have heard from any amp. It is not about volume, it is about filling up the room with that "bass sound" we all love.

Drumers keep looking around the stage when we play at the jazz joint. The seem to wonder "where the ·$"·$%%&& is that BASS sound coming from!!". It wonderfool!! just wonderfulll

Ask stevelawson about this amp, or visit his site for reviews!

I also love the fact that I can the bass and the amp all bye myself. I have even taken the subway to a gig or two this way!!

12. :eek: I just had my name slaughtered for the first time! :eek:

Thanks for all the replies guys. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.