small cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mosmute, May 19, 2002.

1. mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    can anyone suggest a small to medium sized, decent sounding, and cheap cheap cheap cab just to keep at my house. so i can just bring my head home after my band practices and still have something at my house to plug into.....
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'd just grab whatever I could find used. What's your budget?
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cant complain about my Aguilar GS112. if you've got the moolah, get a Bergantino HT112.

you might be tempted to get a small 10" cab, but it might lack the bottom end a 12" cab would have.
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Why not get a small cheap combo. That way all you have to take to rehearsal is your bass. I have an ampeg b50r at home for that.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Perfect for any Livingroom... and killer tone.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    SWR Workingman's 10 cabinet. Good sounding, light and inexpensive. Check it out!:)
  7. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I second the Aguilar 1-12. I heard bassmonkee's a couple of weeks ago, and those things kill! Great tone, and light as a feather. And 300wattsRMS.
  8. cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I just picked up an Ashdown 130-12 combo amp. This little powerhouse kicks butt. It's small enough to move around without breaking your back, but has enough juevos to play small to medium gigs on. I t also sounds great for upright. Good Hunting
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    don't forget about the "cheap" part of his request...

I bet a used Carvin or used Peavey would be reasonably priced. You might get a Crate for a better price still. The tone won't be all that, but you could use it at home and make some noise.

I have seen a Carvin 210 cabinet for about $100 in the local paper.
  10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have a crate 410 that i bought at a pawn shop for $200 and it sounds good!! this 410 has no tweeter and when paired with my 15cab
    it is just awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Used, used, used, used...USED!!!!

Peavey, Crate and Carvin 2-10s are all over the place for $150. Plenty of old 1-15 boxes around for $100.

Want a 12"? I have a sweet Genz Benz 1-12" I'm looking to sell.
  12. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    For me a 112 (rated 200W) turned out to be a good compromise between small (should not need too much space in the bedroom) and 'usable' playing volume (for occasional rehearsals and small gigs).