Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small/Cheap bass amp reccomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dkerwood, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    This question is twofold. I'm in the market for a second bass amp since my big rig is too heavy and bulky to haul to certain types of gigs - low volume jazz, pit orchestras for musicals, etc, etc. So here's the two things I have to ask.

First, if cost was no issue, what would you reccomend as a *small* bass amp that could perform in as many venues as possible without running out of gas?

Secondly, ignoring size, what would you reccomend as a *low cost* bass amp that would perform in as many venues as possible? I'm assuming that most inexpensive amps would be smaller than my big ole 90 pound 15" 300W combo.

2. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    Gallien Krueger Neo700 112 combo. 55 pounds, 320 watts thru a 1x12 neo speaker. portable enough for small shows, loud enough for big shows. i need an amp for all size shows as well so i ordered one up myself. not sure what you would consider "low cost" but this one only ran me 850 bran new. thats very cheap when compared to other high end combos with the same speaker config and power output.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    #1 Aguilar 500-112c (60 Lbs 2-ch, w/spkr outs) $2200 retail USD

[​IMG]

#2 Yorkville xm100c (100w 15", 51 Lbs) $375 retail USD

[​IMG]

I think I could proudly own either of those combos...

4. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    I'll second those, but I'd much rather have the Aggie head in a rack bag. Those "combos" are not too easy to carry..

5. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I've been impressed with some of the smaller Behringer combos... small and inexpensive. Granted, not an Aguilar sound, but not a horrid sound.

I was also extremely impressed with the SWR Workingman's 10.

Orange's new Crush line seems to work well for the small world. Let me know what you guys think.