1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small chipped headstock : should i worry about it

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by panzerfaust, Nov 8, 2019 at 1:30 PM.

1. 20191109_022029.

20191109_021948.

20191109_022007.
    should i worry about that ? Or maybe i should worry my "worryness" ?

sorry for this ridiculous thread....i just want to know could it cause a problem on the future or does it give any change to the tone ?

It only visible if you watch it closely..i dont know it called chipped or crack or whatever...english is not my "mother language"...

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    No.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Unless you see that the wood is actually split, it's nothing to worry about at all. There likely will be more, as you play near drummers.

Vinny_G likes this.
  4. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    It’s mojo!

Really, if you don’t have a few of these on your headstock, as well as other dings, then you’re not playing the bass enough.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    The first one is the hardest.

You are good to go.

6. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    It'll be alright. Just play it.

7. Sorry if i wasted your time guys by post this....this was my beloved one and only...and this is the first time....

do you ever feel the same when you got your first scratch ?

and thanks for the comment...it is relieving....

charlie monroe likes this.
  8. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I was pretty hurt after some dings to the body of my American Special P-bass that got dropped in a poorly padded gigbag, but the bass still plays and sounds well so I quickly got over it. It may have lost a tad of resale value but.. it's not a bass I plan on selling anytime even though it's not my #1.

:poop: happens. Give the bass a kiss. Tell it you're sorry. Stroke it lovingly, then get on with making her moan and squeal like the good little bass she is. It's not likely to be the last time you hurt a bass, as long as you're playing them.

That little ding is barely anything.

9. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Oh, the first ding is painful, so painful.

10. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    That’s literally next to nothing. ;)

You should see the cymbal dings that occur playing with a drummer on a cramped stage.

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

the first is the worst. i generally go to some hard drinking when it happens. i'd recommend a cold mexican lager. YMMV. :D

or you could just play it and forget about it. good luck with your decisions. :thumbsup:

gebass6 likes this.
  12. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

You could add some color to the exposed bare wood. It would be almost invisible. Brown Sharpie pen.

13. Would that stay permanent ?

14. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    If your one and only bass doesn’t have a ding in it, people will think you are an inexperienced amateur. Now you get the r-e-s-p-e-c-t that you deserve.

In 20 years when you are an intermediate player, the bass isn’t going to look like it does now anyways. In 40 years, you’ll probably have to sell it for parts, and I don’t know how much you can get for the neck with a ding in it like that, but for now just put a drop of clear nail polish on the exposed wood, and if you wax the bass, make sure there is no sand on the polishing cloth because you’ll scratch up the finish and then your bass will look just like mine, except yours will also have a ding on the headstock.

Good luck, and congratulations. It’s an easy fix. Don’t worry.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 3:30 AM
  15. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Yes - a Sharpie is just a permanent marker. I don't know if you have that particular brand in Indonesia.

16. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    squint. What.

17. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    If that bothers you, the way it's going look if you play a lot in 5 years will kill you.

gebass6 likes this.
  18. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I have bought used basses with worse battle damage than that small ding.
    And just went "Eh!No biggie"after seeing it.
    (See the scratches on lower left)
    Snapshot_2014810 (2).