1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Small chromatic tuner for low B - like a TU-2 but smaller?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MarkyDynaBass, Apr 14, 2009.

1. MarkyDynaBass

MarkyDynaBass

Mar 19, 2009
    Melbourne
    I currently have a Boss TU-2 tuner, great tuner etc but I'm looking for another chromatic tuner that can deal accurately with a low B but isn't as big as a stomp box (trying to create space in my gig bag) - any suggestions?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Korg Pitchblack.

3. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Don't laugh, but hartke has a killer little tuner for around $30 that tunes a bass extremely well. It's small but has a huge display. Best part is the press of a button backlights the thing for a minute.

4. adge

adge

Jun 8, 2006
    sydney, australia
    +1 on the Korg Pitchblack... ive owned a heap of different tuners and its by far the best...

5. stevethebassguy

stevethebassguy

Feb 3, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Endorsing Artist, MonoCase, Aguilar Amplification
    they say once you go Pitchblack you never go back...

sorry..it had to be said..

6. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I went planet waves (the shiny metal pedal), and love it. Very rapid detection even on my lowest notes.

I'd like to try a PitchBlack one day though.

7. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I had a pitchblack. Nice tuner, but not much smaller than his boss. I found the hartke while also looking for a small tuner, but big display and the backlight. The hartke is a real sleeper. It really is incredibly good.

8. MarkyDynaBass

MarkyDynaBass

Mar 19, 2009
    Melbourne
    thanks all - will check out the pitchblack, but after looking at the specs it isn't that much smaller than a boss (as synterx says). will check out the others too.

I probably should've said that it doesn't have to be a footswitch/stompbox kinda thing.

9. Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. It is the Perfect Tuner.

-jb

10. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I'm telling ya, hartke. Boss and korg hold nothing on the cheapo hartke.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1. The pedal version is smaller than a Boss, and the non-stomp version is even more compact and easy to fit in a pocket.

12. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    I use the TU-2 on a tuner output from my SVT head, when gigging but otherwise use the Boss TU-80 all the time. It has a mike built in so I can practice singing intervals too, and a metronome. Fits in a shirt pocket too.

-richard

13. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    +2...I just got one of these about a month ago, and am loving it...it's smaller than a Boss pedal, more accurate and faster than a Peterson Strobostomp, and built like a tank...These are cool.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Until the Sonic Research tuner came out, I would have agreed.

The Sonic has all the advantages of the Pitchblack (true bypass, small, high quality), but with MUCH more accuracy (true strobe) and signficantly faster tracking, especially for the lower strings.

15. MarkyDynaBass

MarkyDynaBass

Mar 19, 2009
    Melbourne
    Thanks for the suggestions thus far guys. Watched some vid reviews of the Sonic Research and Pitchblack, both very good, Sonic has a great strobe, Korg box looks real cool, but really at 12cm x 6cm they're almost the same dimensions as a Boss stompbox.

Anything as good as or nearly, but perhaps half the size?

btw - Hartke out... I really don't like LCD screens, dunno, bad childhood memory or something... flashing red/green/blue/yellow lights are my thing ;)

Am I being too picky?, its only a tuner for Fks sake! :D

16. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Korg makes a Pitchjack that is very small, but it's not chromatic.

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Answer to your question 1: no

Answer to your question 2: If you don't care about tracking speed and tuning accuracy, get a little one with the flashing lights:D

18. MarkyDynaBass

MarkyDynaBass

Mar 19, 2009
    Melbourne
    LOL nice answer mate :D

19. I never worry about tuning open strings and do it at the 5th fret instead. I figure this is in the middle of where I'll be playing, and if intonation isn't perfect, this is a good compromise. ymmv.

20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I was obviously funning with you a bit.:)

The smallest but still relatively accurate 'flashing light' type tuner that I've run across is the Sabine STX-1100 (they might have upgraded the product number. It's small, light, tracks great on everything but the B string (and it works OK there too, just not like the others discussed above).

Edit: If you want it really small and inexpensive, and are willing to give up a bit of tuning accuracy (which may be OK for live performance), the Korg CA-30 is pretty nice. Tracking is good, accuracy is 'OK'.