1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small combo amp advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KramerDon, Jun 13, 2014.

1. I'm turning 59 next month,don't have any desire to play loud late nites anymore and my old Acoustic 370 head and double EVM 15" setup is just way to heavy for me to load/unload anymore.I'm just looking for a small combo to jam occasionally at fairly low levels and possibly at our small church.I've been looking online at Ampeg,Orange,Hartke,Acoustic(altho I've heard they went under and now are made by guitar center)or maybe a Fender rumble.I'd like to stay between $250 and $350.My main priority is reliability but obviously I'd like a decent sound.I'm seeing these new combos with 8",10" and 12"speakers so for instance will a 75watt Hartke w/a 10" speaker that weighs 40lbs or so be loud enough for anything but a solo practice amp?,in my serious playing days,everything was 15's and 18's (other than the Ampeg 8X10"s).I'd really appreciate any info/advice!! Thanks in advance!!

2. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yah, a 1x10 combo won't hang with a rock drummer. A 2x10 combo will hang if the drummer isn't stoopid loud - and is about as loud as I'm willing to play these days without earplugs.

maestrovert likes this.
  4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Fender Rumble 200 Combo.

Orangeclawhammr and Linnin like this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yep. +1

6. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Have you looked at the TC Electronic BG combos? Those are what I've been looking at.

7. fiftyfiveHz

fiftyfiveHz

Feb 10, 2014
    Using TC BG250 obtained for $350 more than enough volume for band with quality (ie not too loud) drummer in smallish club, good tone quality, built in tuner and mute button.
    The first time my guitarist picked it up he almost threw it through the ceiling, because it was so much lighter than he expected. Fits in my front seat.

8. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I agree. The V3 Rumble would probably work great. Check out the GK 115 MBE as well, and look at Peavey. If you're gigging at all the 75-100 watt 1X12 stuff won't cut it unless the volume is really low.

9. JI99

JI99 Guest

Jan 24, 2007
    Check out the GK MB150S. And you can add the 112MBX extension cab.

10. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I myself have ordered an Ampeg Micro CL, which will be due tomorrow (Saturday).
    It sure has good tone, isn't too heavy or too big or expensive for that matter.
    Gives you 100 watts with a 210 cab, I'll post again tomorrow about the possible volume (cause I haven't tried one at full volume)

11. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    You may like the Carvin 'MB' serie. I own the MB-15, great little amp for the price, really.

12. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    200w and a 2x10 should do you just fine. I use a 300w, 2x10 markbass combo and it's perfect for almost every gig.

Look for used stuff, locally, first, and test it out.

13. bccbass

bccbass

Dec 31, 2010
    Markbass CMD 121 fit the bill for me. But in that price means used.

maestrovert likes this.
  14. Yes the Carvin MB15. Great amp. 250watts sounds great and weighs 30lbs.

15. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Consider these:
    Carvin MB 210 Combo
    TCE BG250 210

I am sure you could probably find one of those TCEs used at GC or Ebay.. for between $250-$350 or so.. Those Carvins are pretty nice.. I know a guy who has one the MB12 and I played through it.. great bang for the buck.. You could even go new for $400. Personally I think you will get more feature wise from the Carvins than from a Fender Rumble in the same range.. and just to be more future proof I would go with at least 200W .. More headroom is always a good thing.. Check out the Carvins and compare them specs wise, price wise and feature wise with the others..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  16. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    New Genz Benz Contour 210 or 115 on eBay. THE best deal currently available in a sub 50 lb combo loud enough to gig with IMHO, available well under 400 new on eBay.

17. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Consider this one. I owned a 200 w combo in the series prior to these and it was killer! There is someone who posts here who has one just like I linked to and he uses it in the band live and leaves his other equipment at home.
    http://traynoramps.com/bass/small_block/product/sb115/
    sb115_lg.

18. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Well I've tested the Micro CL and it goes more than loud enough for home practice.
    Very well suitable for low volume jamming or small church playing IMHO.
    Here' a pic:
    foto-15.JPG

19. I went to GC Saturday.They didn't have a very good selection,I was hoping they'd have a Ampeg microCL and some Hartke's but they didn't.I ended up getting an Ampeg BA-115.100watt w/single 15" and it's just over 60lbs(probably less than my old Acoustic 370 head!).They only had the floor model which I got for $350.My initial impression is that it sound pretty good and seems to have decent volume.If it is reliable I think I'll be happy!!
    Thanks for all the input/advice!!!

JimmyM likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This opinion may surprise some folks but I think you made a very good choice ;) Hard to beat it in its price range.

KramerDon likes this.