Small Combo Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rasbass, Dec 29, 2002.

1. rasbass

Dec 29, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Hi all-

I often play small rooms and I would like to have a small set-up to use. I usually play a fretless J bass, playing pop/ light rock or with a jazz combo. I almost always play with a drummer, but never with loud drums.

My amp is a heavy old Acoustic 470. My smallest speaker is a heavy 1545 Peavey monitor with a 15" plus a horn. That is my current "small" combo but it is heavy to lug and pretty big.

I am looking for something light to carry, small in size and, of course, decent sound.

In my plans to downsize I have a few questions for which I am looking for opinions:

1) 12" vs. 15" speaker?
    2) Combo amp vs. a small separate speaker/ amp combo?
    3) A guitar combo amp- Princeton 112 plus- will that (or something like that) be terrible for bass or might it do the job at low volumes?

Any thought or opinions will be appreciated while I try to figure how best to spend my money.

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If money's no object, the light-n-hifi pairing du jour is the Acoustic Image Clarus head and a Raezer's Edge cab. Amongst light combos, the Acoustic Image Contra and the GK MB150 get pretty high marks, although the reliability/durability of GK is questionable. If you're looking at something cheaper, the Fender Bassman 25, SWR Workingman's 10 and Carvin PB100-10 are all pretty light and work with a quiet drummer.

I'd go with a single 12" and forget about the 15" speaker; a single 15" sounds less balanced than a 12" when soloed. I'd also nix the guitar amp idea. Most aren't voiced properly for bass and don't have nearly enough power to carry bass frequencies very far.
  3. LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    Hey rasbass,
    I've been using an Eden Time Traveler 1-10 combo with the CXM 1-12 cab and I love it. I play in small band settings and try not to let the volume get out of hand :rolleyes: I use an Azola Bugbass and a Lakland 5 string through it with no problem. The amp is rated at 320 watts into 4 ohms and the controls are very straight forward. I keep the EQ set flat and get a nice warm yet hi-fi sound.The compressor is great, so is the D.I.! This set up is very portable and light weight, but does not lack in sound. I tried several small rigs at Bass Central (just ask Gard) and this one was my favorite.

Hope this helped......................TA
  4. *Clears throat*

Ampeg B100R?
  5. "the reliability/durability of GK is questionable"....
    I've had a 400RB, an 800RB and my present MBE150 and I aint never had any problem with any of them. In fact, the only amps I ever had any problem with were SWR, Trace, and Mesa.
  6. Well, I'd point you in the direction of Ashdown Electric Blue series. Readily portable and seriously loud with good tone for the money.

Mine is the older style 130 watts inot a songle 15" speaker -and to me at least it's clear enough (my band seem inpressed with the sound too). Only problem is there is no speaker out (but it has a balanced DI on the front panel to plug into PAs).

There is newer range that adds an octaver effect, and I believe that it has a speaker output. This one is uprated to 150 watts.

Both the the older style and the newer style have 12" speaker options, the newer range also has a 10" speaker option.

Best bet is to try them - if you can!:)
  7. rasbass

Dec 29, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Hi all-
    This is a fine forum- less than 24 hours and I have already been checking out some of your excellent suggestions.

I appreciate the thoughts from all who have chipped in and I will gladly consider any more suggestions or comments on any of these posting.

Thanks all.

8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    What's your budget?
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This sounds perfect for an SWR Workingman's 12 with a SABDDI.
  10. rasbass

Dec 29, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Regarding $, since I have a day job, I do have some flexibility, but since it is for limited use, I don't won't to go too crazy spending.

Further, if I find something that I think is perfect, I don't mind buying used gear.

11. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    OF COURSE there are others...
    This is AMERICA-Land of 1000's of Bass amps!
    (well, 100's, anyway)

Buy this...
    If you don't sound good playing through it, may I suggest taking up the zither, or xylophone, or...
    !!! Drums!! aaaaaaaaah!

All kidding aside-it's a fantastic piece of equipment,
    and after much hard use with mine, as well as a former 400RBIII, I have NEVER had a problem with
  12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I recently ordered a Behringer BX 600 60watt solid state combo amp (12")for the same purpose. I ordered it from American Musical supply for $139.00. That is the price you would pay for a 10 to 15 watt amp with an 8" or 10" speaker. I am hoping that it will be serviceable in that type of situation. When it comes in I will give you a realistic description of its performance. At that price you could afford to run through 2 of them and stay under $300.00
  13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I forgot about the Hartke Kickback I used to have. It was a 12" wedge shape that claimed to be 120 watts. I was playing drums in a band and the bassist borrowed it on some smaller gigs. It held up against 2 guitars,a steel guitar and drums(classic rock, blues, country,etc.) I see them on ebay for $399 new.
  14. tcorley

Jan 16, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I picked up a used hartke kickback 15 (120watt) for $299. It sounds great (even with my crappy bass).
  15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If you think a loud 60W would cut it, you may want to look at the Tech21 Landmark 60 combo. I got mine last week, and am quite impressed so far. I haven't played out with it yet, however. The tone section is fantastic - it's basically a RBI in a 60W 10" powered cab with a DI.
  16. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    I second that.