Small [combo] amps for simple rock eight note player!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captainchambers, Feb 23, 2006.

1. captainchambers

Jan 4, 2006
    So I have been scanning the posts and "doing my searches", but I am still not finding the opinions I want/need.

I have two Fender Musicmasters, and I am a simple player. I like the sounds of eighties/new wave/alternative (Smiths, Echo/Bunnymen, Psychadelic Furs) and metal/hard rock/basic rock. Influences are Adam Clayton of U2, Peter Steele of Type O Negative & Duff McKagan.

The scenario I am looking for:

Combo - small and portable with best sound for a that is great for "eighth-note rock", not slap, jazz or funk...option to a) use external speaker cab, and b) have XLR output...cost around $250-400 at most...preferrably a 15" speaker, since I like bottom.

I have not seen a post about a good combo for a straight forward rock bass sound. Most everything I see is about slap and jazz. I want to crank the amp and be able to shake things, and if the amp can't handle it, then I want the option to use the P.A. to do it for me! Ya dig?

Thank for the time!!!
  2. Walkabout Scout or maybe one of the Ashdown combos?
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I have recently had a the pleasure of playing the Gallien Krueger Back Line series. These are the entry level GK models, designed for the average Joe bass player. They make Backline heads, cabs, and combos. What I played was a Backline 250 head into a Backline 1 x 15" cab. I was really impressed with it, it had a wide range of tones (including a built in overdrive channel) all of it's sounds were very well suited for rock. The 15" speaker sounded great, but I always like that "old school" sound of 15's. It worked great and was loud. It has an XLR direct out. You should check out the GK Backline series of amps.
  4. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I would recommend an Ampeg B100R, because it's a 15" combo with a ton of booty, but it lacks the speaker-out and XLR out that you want. :meh: It's right in your pricerange, at about $300 or so if you go used.

The B100R is perfect for "Eighth-Note" rock. It handles anything I can throw at it. The seperate Gain and Master controls allow for everything from smooth, clean bass to a bit of grit.

There's quite a few people on here that will agree with me.
  5. I definitley would NOT check the backline series of amps. Regardless of sound (Which isn't all that great anyway) they have a really bad reputation. Lots of bad reviews. Not many good ones. I had a Backline 112, and about every month I had a problem. After getting the amp replaced FOUR TIMES I finally just got a refund.

Steer clear............IMO
  6. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I don't like the Backline series although i love the higher priced GK products and used them for many years. But, considering your budget that would be out of the question. I own a Wakabout Scout combo. It's a great amp but way out of your price league.

Take a look at the Yorkville Sound XM200 series instead. I had one and liked it. it sounds much better than the price would lead you to believe and it'll stand up to hard use. It will also accept an extension cabinet if you want to expand a bit.
  7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    At a $500 limit, the Walkabout is out of the picture. Consider a Fender Bassman 250/115. With dilliengent shopping, you can find one for about $500. I have one and have found it to be a very versitile amp. The Fenders don't get a lot of respect here, but I believe they are great amps for the money.
  8. captainchambers

Jan 4, 2006
    Thanx...I've been reading good things about the Backline series. I thought that they were the cheap "overseas" line for entry level, but my research shows they are made alongside the standard G-K stuff! I like they way they look, and they are on my "play" list at the local music store.

The Ashdown Blue Combo is on my list as well. If I can not afford the 15" speaker, the 12" looks nice too. The only problem is, there is nowhere in or near Tulsa, OK that has one I can play.

I like the Yorkvilles...I researched them long ago and I found nothing bad about them. Musiciansfriend is kind of limited these days...any other online sources sell them?

I just saw a review in the new bass player for the Roland Bass Cubes...not too bad! Another consideration...

Also saw, in this forum, a link to an SWR Working Mans 12 for $299! They have the new Workingmans Pro line out as well...have not heard anything on them, but I have read enough to know to stay away from the LA series.

Thanx for the input!!
  9. i just got the electric blue combo in the door a day ago. i cant give it an honest review yet cause to be honest i havnt fiddled around all that much on it. i dont know if its what your looking for, but it can handle pretty much anything. i'm not TOO sure about straight-forward rock though, it has more of a british tone sound. but i havnt gotten around to messing with the EQ and bright and deep functions alot yet. with all the features i dont have a doubt you could get something close to your tone

still, for your price range consider this seriously, or if your willing to spend all $400, buy the MAG 300 combo
  10. For 8 chord Rock:
    Eden, Ashdown, Ampeg, SWR.

In that order.

however, if it were my money I would get the SWR workingman's 12. I've always wanted the 12 and 10. I think they are amazing combos with limitless applications.
  11. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Yeah in what you are looking to spend a SWR workingmans would be a good bet. Definitely shop used, and skip the "workingpro" stuff.
  12. AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    I had a Hartke Kickback 12 that fit the bill fairly well, though at 120 watts I wouldn't say it shakes things too well. For the type of music you describe, I would have thought the 80s solid-state tone of Hartke or GK would match your tone requirement.

The Hartke is still available as a 12 or 15 and has an XLR, but no facility for an external speaker. I haven't tried the 15, but the 12 has very nice cut for small gigs or as a stage monitor when tied to PA support.
  13. Go that bit extra and get a Workingman's 15, rather than the 12.

There are some very good deals around now that they've been discontinued.
  14. RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    For your price range, I'd look for an older SWR Working Man's 15 or Eden Nemesis 1x15. Both of these are solid workhorses that put out a great sound for basic rock.
    But be carefull that you don't buy someone else's headache in the used market, especially in this price range! Maybe the best advice is to save your pennies for awhile.
    Also, in my experience, there are no small 1x15 combos.
    good luck,
  15. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Used Nemesis, Bassman, or GK. Choose your flavor. All would be fine. Probably a 15" rather than 2 10's. Just need to keep a close eye on forums & the 'bay & when it is available, snag it.
  16. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I know you said you wanted a 15 but this is a great sounding amp totally usable in any style and is at a great price.

You can use another cab and has a great soundind DI.

17. Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    You may want to try a Peavey TNT. I had one in the 80's and it did what your lookin for. When I bought it the speaker was blown so I put a 15" EV speaker in it. It put out plenty of volume.
    With an EV in my Peavey.
  18. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I used a Peavey Combo 300 for a short while. it was plenty loud but I hated the sound. Very hard, sterile sound with a sort of boxy flavour to it. I sold it soon after getting it and bought a GK head and cabinet.

The Peavey was a very heavy beast.
  19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I have a Cobo 300, and I like it - plenty powerful enough, and I can get a pretty good sound out of it - although I realize that's pretty subjective... They ARE pretty heavy, castors make that a bit less of an issue, though...

- georgestrings