1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small combo amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Blender, Dec 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Just got in one of the new versions of the Peavey Max 100s. I usually would prefer a 1x12 or 2x10 combo, but those can get weighty & pricey as well. I thought I would take a chance on the 1x10 Max 100.

I kept reading online that it’s 100 watts, but in reality, I don’t think that’s the case. Certainly not 100 watts RMS. However, I do like this little combo & it seems to have plenty of volume. It will be fine for practicing or jamming at home. I believe it will be loud enough for me to use as a monitor if I’m able to plug into a house system. I’ll put this theory to the test in a couple of weeks at a company Christmas gig I have. The Max 100 does have a DI on the back. The speaker is angled up at you inside the cabinet so there’s no need to tilt it back or prop it up on something. I like this feature too. It’s pretty easy to carry around so my back & knees are thankful for that as well. I just wondered if anyone else out there had an experience with these newer Peavey combo amps. I’ve heard the old TNT combos are legendary. If you don’t use a Peavey, what’s your weapon of choice?

CallMeAl likes this.
  2. Gallien Krueger MB110. Have had it for seven years, now. I purchased it to be used as a stage monitor at a small church with PA support but it gets used primarily as a home/living room practice amp, now. It is rock-solid and sounds ... umm, ok.

I much prefer using my Tone Hammer 350 paired with a composite Crazy 88 in tight settings, however. It takes up about the same floor space as the MB110, sounds good and keeps up with a drummer at a fairly loud garage practice.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Bass Blender and CallMeAl like this.
  3. At one time I had a GK MB 115. Wasn’t all that heavy for a 1x15. My first GK combo was an older 2x10 combo that was a beast to carry. It might have been a USA made one. I can’t remember for sure.

4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Currently:
    Rumble 25- great combo for around the apartment. Haven’t had it past 9:00
    Rumble 100- light, cheap and LOUD. Gigged it for a few years, now my rehearsal amp.
    Markbass CMD 121p- great tone and a real powerhouse. My current gig amp. I just added the extension and I’m ready for anything! :bassist:

I’m also a big fan of the Ampeg BA and GK MB series

SJan3 likes this.
  5. I mainly play at my church. I rotate in & out of the band with another guy. He brought his Markbass 2x10 combo amp up there & leaves it for both of us to use. That is a loud & powerful amp! I think it’s 350 watts without an extension cab. We don’t need the extension cab at all. Markbass is quite proud of their stuff though! Talk about pricey!

SJan3 and CallMeAl like this.
  6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I used That 210 combo for backline a few times, it really got me interested in Markbass. I ended up finding deals on the 12 combo, then the 12 extension. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have paid new prices for Markbass gear! I was looking at a Rumble 500 before I found that, and I don’t think I’d need the extension in that case. We do a lot of outdoor and DIY stuff, and I can’t always count on the PA. Plus if I had known there was a pandemic coming, I coulda just stuck with my Rumble 100! :roflmao:

at any rate, I hear all good things about the Max series, enjoy yours in good health! :thumbsup:

Bass Blender likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021