1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small Combo for Practice: Ashdown Perfect Ten/After Eight vs. Nemesis N8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Risen Ashes, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Ashdown After Eight Bass Combo Amplifier

9.6%
  2. Ashdown Perfect Ten Bass Combo Amplifier

44.2%
  3. Nemesis by Eden N8 Practice Bass Combo Amplifier

50.0%
  4. Ibanez SW20 Soundwave Bass Amplifier

5.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. First off, I apologize if some of you have answered this question before, but I've found insuffcient info on these particular combos.

I recently moved into an apartment with roomates far away from my Ampeg/Mesa rig :meh: and I need to plug my jazz bass into a combo amp...I'm in desperate search for a combo practice/bedroom amp-that is in my price range ($100-160).

I need something that can be:
    -Decent Quality (no behringer cheapness)
    -Fat tone, with decent gain
    -Light and compact
    -Versatile enough for Hard Rock/Metal/Funk/Jazz/Salsa
    -Both passive and active pickups supported
    -Has a headphone out jack (to not bug my roomates)
    -an output to play along with cds

I know I'm asking a lot for such a tight budget! Here's what i've narrowed down my choices to...

Ashdown Perfect Ten Bass Combo Amplifier (30 Watts, 1x10 in.) $160

Ashdown After Eight Combo Amp (15 watts, 1x8in.) $100

Nemesis N8 by Eden $140 (40 watts, 1x8in)

I have a friend thats had a Nemesis for years and I have read good things about Nemesis and Ashdown on here so these 3 combos are my top choices...here are some that are nicer on the wallet ; that I can buy in a store nearby and don't need to wait on shipping. I'm not sure if they compare to Nemesis or Ashdown quality wise->

Danville Combo Bass Amp $130 at local store... 30 watts (I have never heard of Danville and the guy in the store told me over the phone about it, I have not played it) Please tell me if you guys know anything about this brand!

Ibanez SW20 Sound Wave Bass Amp $105

or

Ibanez IBZ10B 10W Bass Amplifier $75

Sorry for the long thread...And Thank you for your help!:bassist:

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Out of those choices, I would choose either the Ashdown Perfect 10 of the Nemesis N8, which ever one sounds better to you. However, if you can handle carrying your head with you from your place to rehearsal with your big rig and back, I recommend getting one of the Yamaha 1x10 Cabs from musicians friend, or buying a used 1x12 cab from here or elsewhere.

You will probably be much happier with the sound of this little rig. I just went through the same desicion making as you, and tried out almost all of the combos you listed and some others you didn't. I think the mini rig would sound better then any cheap combo.

3. Damn thats a really good idea. I may try that for small jam sessions when I go back home. My SVT II is in Miami, Fl and I'm stuck in Atlanta until December...so I need a combo for now but thanks dude!

4. carvin probass line.

5. Thanks guys, it looks like I'm going with the Nemesis. Smash- thanks for the advise...I'm going to have to sacrifice that cd input jack...I just wasn't impressed with the Ibanez or Danville when I tried it.

The Danville is a small lesser-known company, they use celestion speakers which aren't bad (same brand used for marshall cabs and speakers) but it is made in China along with the fact that it is unheard of. The sound wasn't bad but Nemesis has reputation.

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Why are the CD inputs that important to you? I'm used to playing along to CD's at home while standing directly in front of the stereo and the amp off to the side or behind me. Do you just prefer the music coming out of the amp or is it so you can hook a walkman up to it and practice with music anywhere?

I ask because I was planning on probably buying a Nemesis N8 in the next few days. I'm just waiting to see how an ebay auction pans out. I will probably be moving into an apartment very soon and need a small (1X8 or 1X10) practice amp that I can jam along to albums with.