Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small combos and peizo PU's...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Aug 21, 2003.

1. I'm wondering if this is true for all basses with peizo PU's, or whether my semi-acoustic Godin is just an exception here? My A4 fretless cannot be used with most small 8" speaker combos... I tried it with Peavey's Microbass and the sound broke up on just the A string! Same thing with SWR's LA-30 cube also; the LA-30 sounds fantastic with a Sterling Music Man bass, but put the Godin's peizo's on it and you cannot use the A or E strings at any kind of volume past a whisper!
    And yet the Godin's PU sounds great on an SWR Workman 10 or a Hartke KB12, at all volumes!

I did finally find one small combo the Godin's peizo did okay with, and that was Hartke's inexpensive (yet effective) B-20... Seems Hartke builds it's Shape Control (a non-adjustable version here tho), into the B-20, and this evidently allows the peizo PU's to be played at a reasonable volume while still maintaining good tone!
    Strange? -Or have bassists here encountered this before?
    Greywoulf

2. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    My SWR Baby Blue II does just fine with all 3 0f my piezo pickup basses ( Turner Ren F/L, Turner Model 1, Rob Allen MB2 F/L)