Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small combos/mini rigs with good tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi guys! (and girls, if there are any)

I'm looking to replace my old crappy combo. I need a small, light (less than 20 pounds or 10 kilos) combo, and it doesnt need more power than 30w... Mainly for playing with acoustic guitarists.
    There's been a recent surge in these kind of combos, so anyone tried like and Ashdown Perfect Ten or After Eight, or a Yorkville XM50? (or anything else like it...). Sdly, I dont have any of this stuff nearby, so I cant try them out :(
    How do these hold up in tone? can they handle the lower frequencies? and stuff like that

Another though of mine was "with these home theater things spreading, now they have subs, so it might be possible that there are cabs with small speakers that can handle low frequencies, so they might make a good mini-(or micro-)rig". anyone got any comments on that?

The aim is to keep the size and the weight as low as possible, to make it a low power take-along or travel-amp (I know, Im asking too much ;) ). Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Small low powered amps can indeed handle the low frequencies they just don't get very loud and you don't get that "kick in the chest" feel of larger, more powerful rigs.

If money is no object, look into the GK MB150E...24 pounds, 150 watts, 12" speaker...but they sell for about $750 new in the USA. It will blow away any 30 watt combo you might look at, though it's a LOT more expensive.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Acoustic Image Clarus or soon-to-be Focus 600 w/ an Acme B-1 1x10. and yes, i'm willing to bet the Acme would RAWK in a home theatre setting. :cool:

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    $750 in the USA - well its a bit more than that here :( :bawl:
    (Side not - its 100W or 150 with extension so ti will very easily blow away any 30W cab ;) )
    I've tried to find it used, but all DB-palyers stick to their good ol' MB150s...
    I was looking for that for a long time but nothing came up on the used market; at the store that is the dealer of GK, they told me they rarely come, and even when they do, they are snatched up almost instantly :eek:

So you say small combos can handle low frequencies, too? thats good, because mine cant, so taht means my old combo is a total piece of crap. So can combos with 10" or 8" speakers get some low, too?

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    AI - not available here :bawl:
    Acme - ditto :bawl:

And I'm not a millionaire, so keep it modest. ;)

And I am most of all looking for experiences with these small combos - so anyone tried anything, and what was it like?

6. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.

I get nice tone and good service from my Peavey Minx 110.

JMHO

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Some of the other guys have heard me mentoin it before, but I recommend the SWR Workingman's 12. I have used it as a gig rig for years with great results. It's less than 40lbs, and costs around $250-$350 used in the US. Has a bunch of good features, and some nice usable tones.

Even though, I don't have any experience with it personally, one of my bassist buddies loved his Workingman's 10 for practice and acoustic gigs. It's even cheaper than the WM12.

Some 8s and 10s can reproduce bass at low volumes, but they tend to fart out when pushed. The only single 10 that I know of that can produce bass reasonably well at higher volumes is the EA CxL110. It's a fabulous cab, but it's a little pricey.

8. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    I just received my Perfect Ten yesterday...between that, and my very first pair of TI Flats, i'm feeling pretty good right now.

it doesn't equate to the big boys setup but my San Amps DI and Digitech Bass Squeeze compressor can pump up the volume a tad.....:)

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I think I have seen one somewhere... will check out! :cool:

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Unfortunately, SWR gear is quite rare here, as well as other stuff :bawl: Not to mention used...

And i'm only looking for a combo for low volumes, but it has to be light!

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    that's cool!
    Now, my question is - can it handle lows (the Ashdown site doesnt say anything about that...) and is it clearly reproducing the tone of you bass?

thanks for all the replies so far! :cool:

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I asked the same question about a month ago and the one that really seemed to shine through was the roland bass cube 30.

Good luck finding what u need

13. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    it handles it with ease--The P-T also allows me to take the d-i treble and presence to max settings with the bottom still dominant.

i can't compare it to anything else..before this, i used my Event 20/20 passives through a mixer as my practice amp...they ain't bad at duplicating bass either...)

14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Sounds good! but a bit more pricey than i expected, and I cant find it used... But this is the one I am leaning towards the most right now.

Did some comparisons with the specs, and stuff.
    Is the Ashdown P10 really so heavy? :eek: I just realized that its heavier than even some 112 combos... sheesh...

also looked at behringer stuff :rolleyes: yes, I know, they are not as well built and rip-offs of some other amps (which is not very nice of them, but they are cheap at least ;) ), but... they are almost insanely cheap! :p Its like half what the Cube 30 would cost, and I need to save up all that I can to get a decent big-rig (i1m right now getting a power-amp to go with my pre, then some cabs) How do these hold up the bottom end, anyone tried one? is the construction really bad or can it be fixes for a good while with re-soldering?

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I really love my Phil Jones Briefcase. :hyper:

30lbs, 2 5" speakers, 100W, built in optical compressor, and it will even run off of a battery.

I've been using it with my 6 string ABG, and it sounds outstanding. :bassist:

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Dare I ask how much those cost. That seems the sort of thing I was after but I know Phil Jones = Serious money :crying:

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Actually, you'd be surprised--$600. :hyper:

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well send me yours to try out I promise I'll send it back :D

There is far to much on my gas list for this:
    New high end 5 String
    Ashdown 4x8 Cab
    Some sort of looper pedal

But I could argue I'm play more acoustic things and plays than I am with my loud rock band.

Any one wanna buy a kidney, or a nipple (I got three of em u know)

Thanks for the info Bassmonkee I may turn into your clone as I'm leaning towards a bongo for my 5 string.

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmmm Ashdown wrote 11,8 kilogramms (NOT pounds) for the A8, and 18,8 kilos for the P10 - thats 41,3 pounds, and I was looking for something lighter than that...
    The A8 would be allright for me as Im not looking for loud, rather for small, light and clean with good tone, but the problem would be rahter that I live in Europe... ;) :ninja:

20. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I gig a lot with two combos (jazz standards and original singer/songwriter). Most gigs are in the Baltimore/DC/Virginia area, and most are in urban areas where parking and load in are difficult. So I have to travel light, but I need enough output to play without PA reinforcement.

The mini rig that works best for me is a Trace Elliot RAHSMX250 amp head, with an Aphex 204 aural exciter in the effects loop and a Euphonic Audio CXL-110 cabinet. With a rack bag the whole thing weighs in at about 65 lbs. I can go from car to stage in one trip using a hand truck.

The Trace pre-shape and the Aphex 204 help make up for the limited low end of the CXL-110, and I don't see any signs that I'm pushing the cabinet too hard. You could probably get similar results with an Ashdown head.

This little rig sounds great, and can put out more volume than I ever need. I recently did an outdoor gig at the national zoo (no PA) using this rig, and got some nice compliments on the sound.