Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

small combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 2Turtleheads, Sep 8, 2003.

1. i amp 200 wizzy

13 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Ashdown electric blue 1x12"150w

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. Ampeg porta Bass PBC-2210

16 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. EBS Drome 1x12"150w

20 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. I need a lightweight combo for my wife. She plays with a light sticking drummer and acoustic guitars. My research has led me to these poll options. Please feel free to make new suggestions if you dig something other than these.

2. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    SWR Baby Blue II

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cant go wrong with an Ampeg.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I honestly like the G-K Backline series. If I needed another combo, I'd go for that.

I have an Ampeg B-100, which is an awesome amp, but NOT versatile and relatively heavy.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got Ashdown's older Mag Series 1x12 combo. It holds the bottom and Shines in Country, Jam and angry drop D rock. Great tone!

(I am replacing it with an Avalon/Crest/Bergantino rig in the future though)

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    if you go ashdown dont bother with the 12" go for the eb 2x10 its not alot more and the difference in sound is so huge. just ballparks apart

its an ace combo and very loud for the size

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I much prefer the punch and roundness of the 1x12. Plus it's smaller and lighter.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    we have different opinions on the produts!

i like the overall larger volume of the 2 10's and also i think that it takes the lows better and overall has a better "popping" tone... just my thing. depends whats goiing to be played.

on second thoughts, the 1 12 for country is probably going to be better

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You forgot the Gallien Krueger Micro bass combos! Killer little amps! Not much treble extension, but they get the job done and are super light weight.:)

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You owe it to yourself to try a Fender Bassman. Start at the 60, and go up. The new Pro 400 would be bitchen. Also, I really like my SWR Workingman's 12 ... oops ... that's a Fender, too. Of the ones you listed, the Drome's probably going to be the best bet.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    A vote for the Ashdown - I have the older EB 130 with a 15" speaker!

Great tone ,very loud if you want it to be and immensely portable!

Also, I reckon you should be able to get good deals on Ashdown stuff about now - the EB series just moved up to 180 watts, so the 150 watt ones should be hitting good cleareout prices soon!

12. DenisW

DenisW

May 5, 2002
    Cork,Ireland
    The EBS Drome is a brilliant combo.Great tone and power for its size.

13. I think AL&M is an EBS distributor now. You might want to go down there and test drive one.

14. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    If money is not so much an object, the SWR baby baby blue. The SWR Workingmans' 10. If money is an option, the Ampeg B110 or the Trace Elliot Boxer 65. I use a Hartke B60 (1x12), but it is a bit heavy at 47 pounds.

-Aladdin

15. If you have a Sam Ash near you, they have Roland db-500's on close out for $320. I bought one a couple of months ago an love it. It's about 50lbs,160 watts, and sounds great imo.

16. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I really think we need to add options for the SWR workingman's series. Those are totally smokin. They have balanced DI outputs, tuner outs, FX loops, and are easy to carry. The workingman's 15 can hold it's own. Also the SWR Super Red Head is probably the best combo on the planet, IMHO of course ;)

17. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    Guys. Keep in mind my man said he needs a "lightweight" combo for his wife.

Heh.

Tough one eh?

18. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    A workingman's 10 is very small and light weight.

Either that or I really like the new Ampeg portabass series. That cute little PB-250 (14 lbs) head with the PB-110H (20 lbs) cab would be managable for anyone, and it's a 200 watt cab, very nice.

19. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I can vouch for the Drome 12", very good sound and loud for its size. I have not played any of the other in the poll.

20. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Polytone Sonic Bass. Good enough for Carol Kaye.