1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

small dedicated mids cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bongomania, Mar 18, 2009.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I know bi-amping is out of fashion these days, what with the quality of full-range cabs available to us now. But I may be trading someone for an SVT-18 cab, which covers pretty much just the lows. So I was thinking of using a pre with a built-in x-over, and a 2-channel power amp (I have those things already anyway), and getting a small box dedicated to the mids and highs. No tweeter, though, just an 8" driver or something along those lines. I'm not into the bright'n'crispy side.

Is there a product already on the market I should look at? Or if LDS/similar is the route to go, what specs (driver/dimensions/everything) would you recommend I ask for?

Assume the power amp will deliver about 500W @ 4 ohms, 310W @ 8 ohms.

Thx!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Not sure any of this will help, but it's a response. I had an SVT 18 for a while, great cab, and quite capable. I used mine in conjunction with a 210, no crossover, just full on. Unfortunately, the amp I was using at the time, (ss ampeg), sounded awful, so I got rid of everything. Missing that 18 sometimes, it had a fairly wide frequency response, though I'd never use it as a standalone. So, my point, maybe you could use something bigger than a single 8" driver with it, like a 10, or 2, or even a sealed 12" box. Reguardless, grab that 18, they're becoming alot harder to find these days, and they can handle a freakin' ton o bottom.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A 1x10 guitar cab, sealed back.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Good idea!

5. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Hartke at one time had a small mid cab 4x5. It was called the 401. Havn't seen one in a while. t went well with the 115XL. It didn't need a crossover

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not too many commercially available cabs out there that fit that bill. i would get a mid heavy/bass shy cab and run them full range.

7. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    An eminence sealed back 8" in any small cab is THE speaker for that sound.