1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

small diaphragm condenser mics

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ajak, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
    I just got my Shure KSM 137 small diaphragm condenser mic. I bought it to record Cymbals/Hi-Hat, brass, woodwinds, strings and other acoustic instruments.
    The manual however however says that you can use it on guitar and bass amps as well.
    I actually never thought of using small diaphragm condensers on amps.

Does anybody here have experience with what I mentioned above? Be it bass or guitar amps, be it the KSM 137 or any other small diaphragm condenser mic.

2. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    I recommend trying every mic you have on everything you can think of (be mindful of their limits - i.e. db limits on sensitive mics, etc), to earn what they can do.

There really are no rules... If it sounds good, it is good!

And, yes, I've used SDC on guitar amps, vocals, bass amps, drum overheads, under snare, room mics, and of course most of what you listed too.

IMO/IME, recording is typically a big experiment... Enjoy the ride!

3. I Don't have experience with the Shure mics you have, but I've used a Sennheiser MKH80 small diaphragm condenser on a Guitar amp and the results weren't really good, it sounds boomy.
    If you wanna use small diaphragm mics on guitar amps make sure you don't have heavy gain sounds and that the player has a really clean technique, otherwise you'll get a lot of annoying fret noise.

4. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've used some SDC on cabinets with mixed results but with some successes. Don't forget to try a few different positions before you abandon. Too much of something (boominess, harshness) can often be negated with a move or even twist of the mic.

5. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    A pair of SDCs on a JC-120, in stereo, sounds amazing for clean sounds.
    Heavily distorted tones typically benefit from the response anomalies that make the SM57 such a standard.

6. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll test my mics for different instruments and settings sometime next year.

Cheers