Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

small effificient 1 x 10 bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bjazz, May 14, 2003.

1. Bjazz

Bjazz

May 14, 2003
    i am thinking about building a small bass cab that i found at billsbest.com/thbasscab.html
    what do you think?Why would i want 4 ohm vs. 8 ohm speaker. could anyon recommend something small that would give me some umph at a reasonable volume.:meh:

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    That is an excellent design and it has been around for quite awhile. It will sound very good, but not very loud- put 200w into it and it will be as loud as a 30w Peavey combo; maybe.

Loud vs low is a compromise every cabinet has built in- this one is built for low.

The impedance issue depends on the head you have. If your head will only drive an 8 or 4 ohm load, it will put out more power into a 4 ohm load. If you have 2 8 ohm cabs in parallel, you have a 4 ohm load. If you build yourself a 4 ohm cab and decide you need more, you will be out of luck unless your amp can push a 2 ohm load (some can).

Ultimately, there is no right or wrong about the impedance of the drivers. IMO a 4 ohm driver will take more power, and an 8 ohm driver will allow you more flexibility.

3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Shouldn't the driver you choose depend on the cabinet design?

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bass cabinet design is such an important factor that i wouldnt mess with it - even swapping speakers can produce changes that my not be to your liking
    imho a sinle driver unit shuld be 8 ohms
    i give top marks to the bag end custom 110 (available at milford music in ct and mqde by special order) and the mighty epifani 110

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if there ever was a design to follow, it'd be an Epifani 1x10.

tried a pair, and man, they rocked. just gettin' goosebumps thinkin' about 'em.

:bassist:

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    fwiw, i think you might be happier with one of the fine 1x12 cabs out there
    while its not my favorite, the smallest of the bunch is the bergie 1x12 (and it sounds terrific)

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, it all depends on what you mean by "reasonable volume."

I was able to play at practice with an EA CXL110 cab and my new Ampeg Portabass 250 with no trouble whatsoever. The tone was amazing, and the tiny rig also managed to handle the low B with ease.

For gigs, I'll add my Aguilar 1x12. I think I could get away with just the 1x10 if I were only to take a 4 string, but with a 5, or 6, I'm better off adding the 12, I think.

FWIW, I play blues and jazz in mostly trio settings.

8. Bjazz

Bjazz

May 14, 2003
    i got a peavey megabass head w/ 4 outputs, 2 high
    2 low . both say 200 watts rms and 28.3v rms 4 ohms. parallel spkr outputs 4 ohm min load. It also has a built in xover in it 200 Hz to 2 kHz. Could i avoid buying a xover and run the drivers direct to the amp in the bi-amp mode.

could i run two of these small cabs w/ 4 ohm spkr (if i wanted to later)or go with a different cab with a 8 ohms spkr in it.

trying not to spend alot is my goal

9. Bjazz

Bjazz

May 14, 2003
    i got a peavey megabass head w/ 4 outputs, 2 high
    2 low . both say 200 watts rms and 28.3v rms 4 ohms. parallel spkr outputs 4 ohm min load. It also has a built in xover in it 200 Hz to 2 kHz. Could i avoid buying a xover and run the drivers direct to the amp in the bi-amp mode.

could i run two of these small cabs w/ 4 ohm spkr (if i wanted to later)or go with a different cab with a 8 ohms spkr in it.

trying not to spend alot is my goal

10. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The EA CXL110 is the best 1x10" cab!!

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    NMB,

you gotta try an Epifani 1x10. i used to think the same, and nearly pulled the trigger on a pair of EA 1x10's, but WOO BOY, those Epi's sound killer.

12. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The Epifani may sound a little better than the VL's, but I think the CXL's rule!