(Small) Electric shock.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Agis Silverfish, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. Greetings,

    This is my first post and I just wanted to say 'hello' to you all!

    You see, the most weird thing has just happeneded to me now. I was playing the bass as usual, and my girlfriend touched me and she felt a small electric discharge (is that the word?). The bass sounds and feels okay. Can you tell me why is this? Is it dangerous?? Thanks in advance.

    Agis Silverfish
  2. Your'e grounded into the bass amp, she wasn't.
  3. SirPoonga


    Jan 18, 2005
    Static electricity builds up quite often. At work just sitting in my chair for abit, then getting up and touching the file cabinets will cause a small shock.

    Your electronics should be ok as they should be grounded pretty well. You were touching your metal strings, which connect to the bridge, the bridge is grounded to the ground on the output jack (weell, it should be), which gets connected to the ground on your amp when plugged in, which goes to earth ground. So she could have built up electricity too and it got channeled through you.
  4. Thank you for your answers. The amp wasn't really on the ground, it was on the top of a drawer -it's a small 30W Cube. If the problem continues I'll try putting on the floor.
  5. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Does the plug on your amp have three prongs? Does the recepticle in the wall have three holes? It sounds to me like your amp may not be properly grounded.
  6. Nop. I've just checked it. Two prongs on the amp, two on the plug. Still, I'm in Europe, and I think our plugs may be different...