Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small(er) amp. Does this make sense...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Call, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ok. So, I've been questioning my amp needs vs. what I currently have. I've come to the conclusion that I have way too much. So what I'm looking at is either getting a small combo or else maybe a small cab (i.e. 112, 115, 210, etc.).

I know, I've had a more than a few threads these last few weeks. No more after this one! For a while at least.

Here's where I'm at:

College next year, and most likely the next 4. Gigging often, but with good PA support. Mainly playing "contemporary" worship music (i.e. church music), rock, jazz, and solo material. Afterwords, and this is definitely open for discussion, I'm planning on moving to NYC. I need to be in a big city; at least for a "base."

I'm thinking, I really only use my amp(s) as a monitor. I was playing at church last night through my Aguilar 410, and came to the conclusion that I could have done just fine without a cab at all.

So. Does this make sense?

I'm thinking about a small 112 combo. I used to have an Ampeg Ba-112 and really liked it.

At most, I'd be looking at something along the lines of an Accugroove Tri210L and whatever head I end up with (thinking Thunderfunk).

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    how about an ampeg PB-210h (32 Lbs)

[​IMG]

and a light head like...eden wt300 (13.5 LBS)
    [​IMG]

or Acoustic Image focus 1 amp (5 Lbs, 450w/8 clarius shown)
    [​IMG]

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    perfect sense,

in the city, the Tri210 is really gonna be annoying to move around. the Acme B2 is waay easier to manage in its compact shape for that neutral-esque sound.

head wise, anything under 20 lbs. shouldnt be too much of a hassle.

what kind of sound are you looking for? clean and transparent? highly voiced and punchy? etc.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i rehearse with an Ampeg BA-112 and my gig rig is inm my sig. (haha i'm a poet) the Ampeg just barely gets me by with an obscenely loud drummer in a practice room (low ceilings made to fit maybe 20 people) and yes I use musician's earplugs.

i'd personally suggest you go for something with more oomph than a ba-112. i dont have any personal experiences with anything that would be small light and louder, but the Mesa Scout combo seems to have garnered good reviews around here. A friend's band toured cross-country with the bassist using one, and it did well, albiet had to be lifted off of carpeted floors to combat muddiness.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I use the Walkabout Scout combo. It seems like exactly what you need. Great sound and very big sounding for a 1X12. The passive radiator gives it more solid bottom than your average 1X12 and it'll get pretty loud if you need it to.

To get the cabinet up off the floor when playing stages with very thick carpet, cut four 2"x2" pieces of 3/4" plywood and carry in your gig bag to slip under the four feet on the cabinet. This will prevent the downward firing passive radiator from being blocked.

I've had mine two years now and not a problem with it. Great little amp.

6. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I do like the scout combos sometimes. Other times I've played them I didn't. It's odd. I still haven't figured out why.

I'm looking for more of a transparent sound as far as cabs go; but I'd also like to be able to get punchiness.

From what I've been told, Accugroove cabs are pretty transparent; but very shapable as far as sound. A sound canvas, if you will.

Plus, I'll probably be doing some upright too. I'm still thinking about a small Epifani setup too.

7. Makes total sense. There are tons of small, great sounding heads. If you are going for relatively transparent... the AI Focus and Thunderfunk550 through a Berg112 or Epi112 would sound amazing... light, loud, quick and fast.

The Walkabout is great, but very 'tube' colored, which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you want.

The EdenWT550 is kind of in-between... you get a little tube warmth from the pre... but it sounds more solid state versus the Walkabout.

I'd stay as far away from thos Ampeg portabass cabs as you can... one of the few cabs I've tried and heard that I really dislike.

If you need more volume, the medium size Schroeder lights (1210 or 1212) seem like they will be amazing... although they are voiced toward the mids... not particularly transparant.

The Accugroove stuff is great... but that 12 is somewhat larger than other 12's and has a somewhat more mellow sound IMO.

Finally, the Acme210 is nice and small but has a very, very unique sound and needs lot's of power (although a 4ohm version would be fine for lower volume gigs with one of the heads listed about). More than any of the other cabs, I'd make sure to try the Acme before you take the plunge... and make sure you get a 4ohm version if you do.

Lot's of great small stuff out there... for the cabs...

EpUL112... the lightest, and one of the loudest really small cabs out there.

Schroe1210.... the loudest small cab out there by far... the light version brings it to a more reasonable weight.

Berg112... relatively light... a lot of DB guys love them.

8. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Awesome. The one option I forgot to think about... Berg IP112.

9. I was actually talking about the standard Berg 112. I have not had the pleasure of playing the IP yet, but don't really like the 'combo' concept in general, and also needing a separate preamp. I like the 'mix and match' opportunities of a head and cab, and the potential to upgrade one vs. the other. When you roll in the weight of the IP's.... and still having to carry a preamp... that's not for me.

Doesn't mean that it might not be right for you though!

Edit: The Markbass LMII is starting to get some buzz on the site... small, light, powerful, and relatively inexpensive.

10. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

that I purchased used from a guy hear a while back. My Portaflexes are all gone now, and I couldn't live in a house without an Ampeg of some kind. It works more than well enough for its intended pourpose. A coffee house jam, wedding band practice and DI when needed. It also fit perfectly in the little bit of space that was reserved for a bass practice amp. They are available, used clean for relatively cheap.
    My BLX 80 is louder, deeper and almost kinda sorta more tube-ish.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

11. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Sorry, I should have specified. I had just remembered about the 112IP. The standard Berg 112 is on the top of my "to do" list. There's a dealer not too far (1.5 hrs.) from here, so I'm going to check them out.

I actually hadn't looked at the weight of the IP cab(s). That will definitely be a factor.

I wonder if an "airhead" IP cab would be a possibility?

12. I don't think the IP112 is that heavy, but the bigger Berg cabs in general (IP or not) are pretty hefty.

The 'airhead' thing would be kind of a cool idea for those cabs... but would again add to the weight:crying:

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you are thinking REALLY small, the GK microbass is amazingly usable for its size.

They also work pretty well with DB as long as you have a little buffer pre.

14. My gig rig is in my sig, dig?
    It's pretty big,
    but it's awesome for the gig.
    My friends think I'm a pig
    But then I show them my rig for the gig
    And their mouths get big
    Excuse me, I'm gonna go eat a fig

The winner of the '94 tour was big Mig
    I don't think he used to gig
    but he was pretty big
    Did you check his sig?

I rhyme all the time foo
    I battle you n***as anytime
    ya'll betta respect
    uh!

peace

Flame away :smug:

15. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    The Berg IP112 is 46 pounds, but is easy to deal with because it is probably 80% of the size of the HT112.

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Welcome to the club of clear thinkers. You don't need all that stuff. I use a Bergie HT112, a BDDI and a Focus SA amp. See my web page. It's a great little rig.

The Bergie IP112 is $1,900.

17. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I just received my Mini12+ Walkabout airhead combo.

I'll be posting reviews soon.

It's sitting here looking real nice while I'm working though...

Weighs less than the rack I just sold.

18. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    What about an Epi 112/110 run by a UL-502? Or maybe a 310 cab?

19. Steve, what happened to the Eden WT550. You were my one of my models of sanity on TalkBass. Can you really get the tone shaping you need with the BDDI?