1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

small fret problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ElectraPhoenix, Apr 21, 2010.

1. so my main bass has a tiny issue. i'm not sure how to describe it exactly... but, one of the frets (6th on the D string i beleive) doesn't... sustain as well i guess is the way to put it. all the other frets sustain well and have a great full tone, but this particular fret buzzes and the note fades out a lot quicker. it's very strange. no other frets do this, to my knowledge. keep in mind this instrument is about 30 years old, so could it be anything like fret age? the fingerboard is in immaculate condition for it's age, although the fret bars themselves are a little worn. help is appreiciated...

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Sounds like the classic flat fret problem. Look at the fret and do you notice it flatter and wider on that fret? If so and considering the age of the bass I'd say it's time to crown and level, or perhaps even refret?
    Hard to say without seeing and feeling though.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

3. alright, i'll take a look at it, thanks for the help. how much is a refret going to cost me if i choose to do that?

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Refrets generally start around $200 depending on who and where. Call local luthiers for pricing.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    oh, i thought you just had a problem playing with small frets :p

look for the fret in front of the bad one to be "sprung", that is, to not be firmly seated against the wood. that can make the one behind it buzz and sound bad.