Small Funk combo amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SlapinDaBass, Oct 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Looking for a small combo amp for use for around the house and occasional jam with some friends. I don't need extreme volume mostly great tone. I have seen a bunch of new lighter amps with great tone but not sure what to go with. At the moment I'm leaning towards a 12 inch Ampeg bass combo I think it has 75 watts. I really want to get into funk/slap type stuff and I'm not sure if it matters but I would like a amp that would be great for that. Thanks in adavance!

JimmyM and SirMjac28 like this.
  2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    A 112 cab and a 500 watt amp. Then you can just add another cab if you want to start gigging.

This is a very crowded market place. . . . but for years I went with Bergantino cabs and ended with an Aguilar TH500. Have kept the amp and now upgraded the cabs to Barefaced.

anton72 likes this.
  3. Looking for a all in one "combo" amp but if you guys feel it would be better to get it separate any suggestions on brands?

4. Would really like to stay under $400 if that's possible as well

5. Richie Se7en

Richie Se7en Presently distractivated Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Shadow of South Philly
    I have a Markbass Micro Mark 801 combo that's one of the best small combo's I've ever heard. It's very small, weighs about 9 lbs. and if you get lucky finding one used, you can usually grab it for $375-400.

Otherwise, at $499. new it's worth every penny IMHO. Good luck! :thumbsup:

HolmeBass likes this.
  6. I saw these at guitar center but I never tried it out. I just remember saying to myself "that's tiny" (add joke).

7. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    find a used eden metro from before 2003 or a pre fender swr super redhead.

Gizmot, HolmeBass and TMARK like this.
  8. Traynor SB110: It is high quality, compact, surprisingly powerful and can easily take the low B on a 5 string at volume. It has an all metal chassis and is made from solid void-free plywood. The Traynor SB line is fantastic.

Power: 120 watts
    Speakers: 10" woofer/200 watts & Tweeter/30 watts with defeat switch
    EQ: 4-band with Low Frequency Expander
    DI: XLR Balanced
    Headphone Output & Auxiliary Input
    LED Indicators Red, Blue protect, Power
    Protection Clip, Thermal, Overcurrent
    All Metal Chassis , Solid Void-Free Plywood Cabinet Construction
    Made in Canada
    Dimensions (DWH, inches) 14 x 14 x 14
    Weight (lbs) 21

Attached Files:

9. I keep hearing the fender rumble was sweet. I need to try it out

gjohnson441496, levis76 and Linnin like this.
  10. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    GK is your answer. Compare one to the others mentioned and it will follow you home!

TMARK and LanEvo like this.
  11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Go right ahead and compare it to everything in it's wattage class. Even way more expensive amps aren't better. Different yes but not better and in some cases not nearly as good.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Gonna be hard to beat the GK MB112 in that price range. Lightweight, sounds fantastic, and is Made in the USA!

Gallien-Krueger MB112-II 1x12

TMARK, Buzz E, Kukulkan61 and 2 others like this.
  13. So I guess Ampeg is not on the top 3 for combo amps

14. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    You have to see for yourself. Hit a few stores and play through as many candidates as you can until you find the "right" one. To answer your last question, Ampeg would be on my list but I'm a pretty well settled Ampeg guy. It's a matter of personal taste + practicality for whatever it is you want the amp to do. I do think you would be best situated to get something that has enough juice to add an extension cab for when you want to go bigger, and usually a separate head/cabinet rig is the way to go.

15. Yup, Fender Rumble 100 or any of Traynor Small Block series. I have the Rumble 100 and Traynor SB115. Love 'em both.

16. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I've owned the GK and currently have a Rumble...you can't go wrong with either of those, they are both great combos. I have owned the Ampeg 12" combo and it sounded pretty good for lower volumes, but once drums were added to the mix it was quickly drowned out.

The Rumble is probably the best bang for buck IMO.

ronaldpdbrandt likes this.
  17. S.B.

S.B.

Sep 28, 2007
    Winter Park Florida
    Hartke 112 hydrive combo pretty nice. Fender Rumble combo 100 great bang for the buck.

18. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Most any amp can get you where you want to be. The Fender Rumble has been suggested many times and is a good choice... it's readily available almost anywhere and can be had for cheap on the used market.

Myself, I have a MarkBass CMD JB Player's School amp for this purpose. It's got a great, versatile and easy to use EQ, it's light enough (tho a little awkwardly shaped) to take on the bus - if that's a concern for you, and it cost me >$400 used. It's got an effects loop, tuner out, extension speaker out, and all kinds of things that you probably don't need right now but will be glad to have when the time comes. I funk pretty hard on the regular, if my sceenname doesn't provide enough of a hint. The amp does me just fine. ;)

Best of luck!

19. What about orange?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021