1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

small gap between neck and body

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jcphockey16, May 8, 2010.

1. I put a classic vibe neck on an SX body, and there is a very small gap between the base of the body and the base of the neck in the pocket. i strung it up and it actually plays very nicely i was surprised, but i am curious if the gap is a problem?

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I suppose it's not a problem for home use, but the problem with a gap is that the neck can and will shift in the pocket. If you decide the neck/body are to be mated permanently, it would be worth sanding the sides of the body's neck pocket until the neck sits flush.

EDIT: perhaps I am misunderstanding which edge has the gap. If the flat surface of the neck mates snugly against the flat surface of the neck pocket, then sanding the neck pocket is unnecessary.

3. the neck fits in to the pocket completely, it's not the heel touching the rounded part of the body; the flat part of the neck where the holes are doesnt sit flat against the body where the holes are

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Is there some obstruction between the neck and body or are the screws just not tight enough? One thing you can do is make sure the body holes are clearance holes and not threaded.

5. i always `clear' the pocket by using a section of sandaper on a stick`stick' meaning paint stick or any small peice of flat wood,sand lightly to clean out any dust bunnies,paint buildup etc.,my most recent aquisition had that same problem i could see daylight at the neck joint junction and(on that particular bass a MIM J) i have to be careful when screwing the neck on to make sure it's tight when the screws get thru and make contact with the neck or it seems it will have a gap there,,just one of `those deals' where THIS body/neck is threading tight thru both pieces rather than slopping thru the body so to speak,try loosening and retighten while holding the two together