Small GK Combos - worth getting or will it fry?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gnome01, Mar 8, 2002.

1. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Anyone have one of those small GK combo amps like the MB150 (I think that's what it's called)? I've tried them & think they sound great, but I know of at least 3 that have come up with one serious problem (including 1 that had smoke coming out of it). Does anyone have one of these & had problems, or have they behaved - also are their any alternative models that would be good with an upright bass?
  2. I used to own a GK 150E-112. I had to send it for repairs a few times. It turned out that there was power section problem in a few production runs. This was about six years ago. The store I bought it from did all of there repairs in house. It wasn't until the third time it blew that they called the company and found the real problem. It was a decent amp at the time but I think there are better amps available today for the DB. If you have the cash I would highly recommend the Euphonic Audio iAmp combo. It is much more flexible, louder, has better tone and better construction. It is a little heavier but the increased construction quality, volume and sound far outweigh (pun intended) the extra pounds. You can always buy a $15 folding luggage cart to put it on. I sold my GK as soon as I bought my EA stuff.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I bought my GK-200MB back in 1985 and have had problems on very few occasions. Now that this thing is 17 years old, I can honestly say that it's held up as well as I'd expect an amp to hold up.

I did have a problem once, that was ugly, however...Back in around 1987 or 1988, something happened and I couldn't get any sound out of it. Because GK's parts are hard to come by, or at least were hard to come by back then, it took a ridiculous 3 months to get the amp back...the repair shop blamed GK.

Aside from that little messy situation, though, it's behaved quite well.

I probably wouldn't buy one today, however, because I think there's a lot better stuff on the market. The GK I have isn't particularly warm sounding and is terrible at reproducing anything below a low "G".